Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Surprise Fabric Acquisition

My husband and I were visiting our son's family in Southern California, approximately 400 miles away, a few weeks ago in mid-October. We were dropping off our seven and five year old granddaughters at school one morning when the grandfather of another child noticed the denim over-shirt my husband was wearing which has QUILTER'S HUSBAND embroidered in an arc across the back. The man, named Dano like from Hawaii Five-0, tapped my husband and asked, "Sir, is your wife a quilter? Would she be interested in some fabric my wife inherited from a guild member's estate. She is selling it for $1 to $2 a yard. Our house is a couple blocks from here. Do you want to come and look?" Well...YEAH!

We drove over in our car and Dano rode with us. His wife was a bit surprised but pleased with her husband's ingenuity and she opened the garage door to tubs filled to the brim with fabric, tidily folded in zip lock bags with the yardage marked. I reined myself in somewhat, but here is what I bought. When I brought the fabric lengths home I re-folded them per my system and labeled the yardage accordingly.

Four bowling themed pieces totaling 5 ⅝ yards ...


A dotted circle print, a Christmas print, a fantasy print, and a swirl totaling 10 ½ yards ...


Prints with balls of yarn, paw prints, purple lava, and Christmas windows totaling 10 yards...


A 60" wide stripe equaling 1 ⅞ yard ...


I happily walked off with 28 yards of fabric for which I paid $30. Some was from JoAnn's and I noted it on my tags so I knew to expect different shrinkage and color fade but certainly usable. I am most happy that my husband is a walking advertisement! He was bemused and glad 😊that we were driving 🚗and not flying ✈.

1 comment:

  1. That is a great story - I admire the husband's pragmatism. The bowling fabric is excellent for Alex, and I actually think I have a Christmas quilt kit with those Laurel Birch (or Birch-like) cats somewhere... which I think I got from you. S needless to say, I do love that fabric!!! That Marbled Purple is also an excellent buy.

    ReplyDelete