Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas Knitting

I just had to slip this post in before the new year.  I have two new family members this Christmas, a son-in-law as of May and a daughter- in-law as of September.  They needed Christmas stockings to match the ones my husband's aunt knit for him and me and our three kids in the mid 70's and 80's.  My husband's original stocking from his childhood was moth eaten and had been knit for him around 1948.  His Aunt Ruth replaced it at the time she made one for me as his new bride.

My husband found the pattern on line and I had my work cut out for me- my intarsia knitting skills were quite rusty.  But here are the results, and in time for Christmas, too.  Jeremy and Carrie's colors do not quite match those of about 30 years ago.  But neither did the ones from the 70's and 80's match those of the 40's and 50's.  Color palettes do change! 


4 comments:

  1. My knitting skills could never accomplish that..well done.

    We have quilted stockings I made starting in the 70s so just a little easier to match.

    Happy New Year! May you have many happy stitching days!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Are your quilted stockings posted anywhere to see?

      Delete
  2. Now they're definitely part of the family! I love the way they turned out and thoroughly enjoyed the mileage I got out of all the "hmmm... your stocking is bigger than mine - maybe my parents love you more than they love me!"

    But seriously, I think at my end the husband was just flattered to be included, and I am glad that our Christmas tradition can grow with our family!

    -RLQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for going to all the work to knit a stocking for me - I'm very impressed with all of your crafting skills! I can't wait to see it in person one of these Christmases!

    ReplyDelete