I have done no quilting since the last WIP but I have progressed on sewing room organization. I have this Varde kitchen island that I bought at a garage sale and it is perfect to house my fat quarters. I standardize my folding sequence for my fat quarters- in half parallel to the selvage and in half again, same direction- then in half and then thirds in the other direction. The 18 inch length winds up divided by 6 for a 3 inch height that fits just perfectly in two rows in each of the twelve drawers. Yes, I have filled it to capacity with my stash of fat quarters and fabric pieces that are less than one yard. Upon research, I found I can purchase another, new one, here. Friday night my husband and I went to IKEA and we bought a second one since the first one has worked out so well. He spend a good deal of his day off Monday waiting for the delivery and then assembling each of the twelve drawers. What a guy!
My husband also saw this link for a sample IKEA sewing room while searching for the Varde kitchen island like the one we bought and I wanted to share it with those of you who read this blog. It is truly an inspiration. Here is just one sample picture from the link. The fronts of this quilter's drawers are padded foam core fabric inserts but in my arrangement I actually see two fat quarters peeking through each drawer front so I can see the color coding of the drawers. Do browse through the rest of the sewing room pictures. I am considering some upright cabinets with glass doors like you see on either side of the blackboard. Since we are now empty nesters we are considering some home sprucing up. I plan to remove carpet from sewing room and perhaps in the future I wil post some cool pix of my refreshed sewing room.
Although no quilting this week I did crochet on the flight home from Oklahoma and made this hat. I think it will be perfect for an October baby. The link for the pattern for it is at this URL. I chose a more realistic burnt orange color instead of a bright orange and think it came out very cute.
- Pumpkin baby hat
- Purchase and delivery of second fat quarter cabinet.
- Frank is still working on assembly of rest of 12 drawer cabinet
- Pink/lilac/green baby quilt - being returned from free-motion quilter, will bind it when I get it.
- Doll quilt - with free-motion quilter
- Chicken quilt - bought spray baste 505 online from Amazon to try myself to do free-motion quilting on this quilt- awaiting delivery of 505
- Hexagon Mask Quilt - layout begun but overwhelming
- Fire and Ice Quilt- sitting in closet awaiting decision on backing
- Grinch Quilt - ripening on the design wall
- Pumpkin/Iris/Blossom square wall hanging- needs backing and binding
I want to start:
- Bug baby quilt- more on this later
- Presents with Bows quilt kit
- The Ghastlies- strip quilt
- Rubber Duckies strip quilt
Completed projects - 1
New projects - 0
Currently in progress - 3