Friday, March 25, 2016

Elephant Burp Cloths

It is ironic that with a blog title of DianeLoves2Quilt the topic of my last four posts has not been quilting. This post is no different. But I am working up to quilting. I typically stretch my quilting muscles and revive my quilting mojo by making burp cloths. Today I made a half dozen burp cloths inspired by an elephant print flannel that was just so darn cute that I had to buy it yesterday from my local quilt shop. Here are the fabrics. I already had the green, turquoise, and pink in my stash - how fortuitous.

 
Two fat quarters make a burp cloth. I like to use a half yard of two fabrics and make them in complementary pairs. My instructions on how to make these are in my post for June 10, 2014. It was the end of the bolt of the elephant fabric and I could only get 1⅓ yard instead of 1½ yard, but the burp cloths are essentially the same, generous size. I just divided that ⅙ yard difference among the six burp cloths. Here are the three pairs. The backside is the same as the edge stripes. The central section is triple thick for extra absorption.




Here are the backs. Three of them are the elephant print and three of them are the tonal pastels. The mom-to-be has a thing for elephants so I hope she likes them. The new moms I've given these flannel cloths to say that they are their go-to burp cloths.


I still have to pre-wash them before gifting, but here they are rolled up as they will be before I tuck them into a lilac polka dot gift bag.


I am linking up to Sew Fresh Quilt's Let's Bee Social #117, just under the wire, I might add.

4 comments:

  1. Such soft and pretty colours, I'm sure they will get a lot of good use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope so. Others I have made have been used extensively. Glad you stopped by and commented.

      Delete
  2. So Cute! I love that elephant print, and those pairings are fabulous! Thats pretty awesome that they were already in stash :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to be honest, two-thirds awesome. The green swirl had just been in my stash two days prior. But it was in my stash before the elephant print came into the house so I counted it. Besides, I do not think the quilt police have dictated a minimum residence time for a piece of fabric to be considered "in my stash".

      Delete