I counted those hexagons many, many times and kept getting a different total. I made myself this chart to help me count them repeatably, know how many triangles to make, and check them off as I worked. The top in grey is for the neutral grey hexagons/triangles. The bottom in red is for the colored hexagons/triangles.
In past posts about this quilt, my topic focused on color selection and placement. My post from January 23, 2016 is when I first started on this project. It illustrates how one shape can make this intricate tessellated pattern.
This post from February 4, 2016 shows me playing with some color combinations
Here it is, nearly one year later, having renewed interest and a focused goal, I wanted to motivate myself with evidence of forward progress. As a strategy, I chose to concentrate first on some neutral grey tone hexagons to get down the rhythm of a Y-seam technique. This post will address some details of construction. My design wall started out looking this way when I resumed working on this quilt. I like that the white-bladed pinwheels all turn counter-clockwise and the dark-bladed pinwheels all turn clockwise. That was a challenge that kept me on my toes during assembly!
A trio of squatty triangles join at a central Y-seam to form an equilateral triangle. I am getting very, very skilled at these Y-seams. They are not hard but they are time-consuming. A registration dot must be marked at the top corner of at least two of the three squatty triangles, generally the lighter colored ones, and that is the starting point of each seam. These are the white pieces in the upper left. After sewing two pieces together (1st seam), one squatty triangle needs to be folded back to add the third squatty triangle (2nd seam). These are the pieces in the lower right. The plaid triangle has been folded back in order to add the second white triangle shown offset immediately below.
For the third seam, if I wanted the side with the registration marking side facing up, I would need to sew from the outer edge in toward the center and stop at the dot. Then I had this brilliant revelation. Well, only sort of brilliant because it is obvious now, but this novel idea had never occurred to me before. I could actually sew a quarter inch from the LEFT edge and begin at that central dot. The quarter inch foot really does work that way too! I tried it and guess what? I could use the left side of the quarter inch foot is just as easily and as accurately as the right. I am not ambidextrous and I learned that being right handed and having many years of ingrained sewing habit did not hamper this ability all. I'd always defaulted to putting the smaller width of fabric through the throat of the machine but for small size piecing that is not necessary. This flexibility frees me up to always mark the lighter fabric and let it be on top.
When I flipped it over, I could flare open the central region so that it kind of twirls around and I got this cute mini rosette where the three seams join. I squashed this flat with the tip of the iron and then gave a finishing swipe on the right side again.
Six of these equilateral triangles now can be joined with straight seams to form a hexagon, two halves of a hexagon only at this point. It is such a feeling of satisfaction, a real aha moment to see these seams all lie in one direction and those three cute rosettes at the Y-seam junctures. OK, I will admit, you do need to be a certain type of quilter for this to give you a nirvana moment.
These points all come together nicely and make me proud. I am almost reluctant to cover up their intersections by following the pattern suggestion of appliquéing circles in the center. I probably will though, since I think they will add a bit of pizazz.
Oh, well, when I get to the tri-color hexagons that are coming up next, I will be able to enjoy and display perfectly aligned points on them. I hope. It is just about time to start those colored hexagons. I have just one more dark bladed pinwheel and two more partial dark greys to finish at the bottom border. Here is my design wall status upon writing this post. Before I get back to sewing, I am linking up to Let's Bee Social #159.