Thursday, September 23, 2021

Accessories for Twin Bear Quilts

After completing two 48" square quilts from two Paddington Bear kits, destined for a pair for twins, I had a large amount of fabric left over. Counting Stuff on the left had less extra since I made it per kit instructions. Going Places on the right had more extra since I had pared it down from 56" square to be the same size as Counting Stuff. Details and closeups of these two quilts are given in my blog posts dated 8/28/21 and 9/7/21 respectively.

Each pattern used a cloth book panel, and I had the slightly larger front and back covers remaining. I considered appliquéing them to the back of the quilt but opted instead for two pillows, each ~8" to ~9" square. I backed each image with a layer of flannel to give it a bit more substance, sewed right sides together, turned, stuffed with polyester fluff, and machine sewed the opening closed. In the interest of expediency and trying to forestall further project creep, there was no FMQ at all. They came out cute. How could I ever have tossed this as scraps? Never!



With more leftover fabric, I cut out two bears so the twins' older brother would have two "babies" of his own to care for. Each is ~10" tall; the back is a solid and the front is a print from one of the quilts. Initially planning to put the face on the plain side so the features would show up better, I changed my mind and put the face on the more interesting side, the print. Once again, in the interest of convenience and minimization of project scope creep I skipped embroidery and drew the faces on with permanent marker. Left bear is from Counting Stuff scraps and right bear is from Going Places scraps.



I still had some bits left over so I whipped up two simple reversible blankets for the bears with no batting and no FMQ. Counting bear leftovers yielded a cute image that I fussy cut out of the instruction portion of the panel. It is backed with stripes. The banner style title on the panel for the counting book begged to be used and not plunged in the trash bin. I bound it and it can be a wall decor, a bottle holder, an arm band, a flag... etc.



Traveling bear leftovers yield a striped band of bears which I backed with the numbers backing fabric remaining from the other quilt.



The traveling bear kit came in a cute metal lunch box size suitcase with a clear window in the front and Paddington Bear initials P.B. on the back.



I squished the two pillows into the suitcase, wrapped the bears in their blankets and sent these accessories off nestled within the two quilts.


I am not finished with the leftovers, but I am finished with my interest in making anything more out of them at this point in time. They will now be relegated to my scraps and be scattered among future quilts, wall hangings, doll blankets, placemats, coasters, gift pouches, or improvisational class technique projects. 

1 comment:

  1. What a fun collection of accessories! The twins are still too little to use (or appreciate) pillows much, but their older brother is IN LOVE with those little bears. The faces look spot-on and seeing it in practice I am glad you went with your instincts and made the front the patterned side. They look adorable! And good job on relegating the scraps to other projects, rather than forcing yourself to use them all up.

    ReplyDelete