Saturday, June 18, 2022

Third Saturday of June 2022

For this month my guild was encouraged to hang a red, white, and blue quilt to honor flag day June 14th. I chose to hang just one quilt, a flag. This quilt measures measures 48" wide by 31½ " tall  and predates my habit of labeling my quilts or adding a hanging sleeve. I can only estimate that it is over 20-30 years old. My first of three children was born over 40 years ago and it could even predate her since there is little time for quilting with three young children. I made it in a class hosted at a local quilt store that predates Livermore's In Between Stitches which was opened in 2002. The quilting was done on a domestic, my first attempt at free form with the feed dogs dropped. The blended color of the cream and red HSTs and the undulating quilt pattern on the stripes makes it look like Old Glory is waving in the breeze.


Beginning April 2020, my quilt guild members began a tradition of hanging quilts in the front of their homes on the third Saturday of the month as a source of enjoyment for the community and as a thank you for the essential workers during the pandemic. My initial post about this practice is in my blog post dated 4/22/2020.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Perhaps because I have fond memories of this quilt, I fell in love with an American flag quilt pattern from Shabby Fabrics. Link: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/products/cathedral-window-flag-pattern . Unfortunately, then I looked up what cathedral windows are, and dang! Ain't nobody got time for that (or at least, I don't). Any chance you still have the pattern for this one?

    ReplyDelete