Sunday, July 16, 2023

Alameda County Fair Entries

For the 2023 Alameda County Fair I entered two quilts. Details on sewing the two quilts are in my 9/18/22 post for X Marks the Spot  and in my 5/12/22 post for Quilt by Number. When the fair ended and I retrieved the two quilts earlier this week, I remembered I had not published a post about their display. I'll admit I was a tiny bit bummed that I did not get any ribbons this year, not even an honorable mention, but it was still a source of some pride to see them hanging from the ceiling. I was curious to read the judges' comments when I picked them up. Entries are judged using the American System of Judging where exhibits are judged against each other. Judges may choose to omit a placing if it is believed to be without merit.


I enjoyed reading the positive ego-boosting comments from the judges. I re-typed them after the scanned labels since the minuscule font size may render them illegible.


XMARKS THE SPOT, ENTRY#4444
- Very effective design and color/fabric choices. The customized quilting is creative and upgrades the complexity of the piece.
- Piecing skills are beautifully showcased on this piece. The curves of the orange peel quilting soften the block design and fill the sashing space well. Some tension issues noted.

QUILT BY NUMBER, ENTRY#4445
- Strong quilt design complements the piecing to create a captivating piece.
- Very effective design and color/fabric choices. Quilting is exceptional and the customized quilting design enhances the overall pattern greatly.

I also take to heart the constructive criticisms from the hand-written slips attached to each quilt. Several comments pertained to the quilting. I do know that my quilting is still in its growth stage and has room for improvement, so there were no surprises there. I also scanned the judging slips and include them in this post.


Of course I prowled around to see what quilts did win ribbons. These two got 2nd place (tiny red dot in lower right corner of each).

These two got 1st place (tiny blue dot in lower right corner of each).


This 1st place quilt was awarded Best of Show.


Viewing the quilt entries at the fair is an annual tradition of mine. Seeing the variety is a source of wonder and inspiration, encouraging me to try new designs and ideas. Constructive criticism strengthens my resolve to work on improving skills in my weak areas to become a better quilter.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous of your Fair quilt displays! And of the judges' comments: I did score a ribbon for my fair entry last year (4th), but the OK state fair doesn't give out comments, so I have to guess on what I need to improve. Your quilts (and the winners!) look lovely hanging from the ceiling, fully spread out.

    And honestly, if those were the best of show/first place contestants, it's hard to feel left out! I shudder at how much work it must have been to make all those orange peels lie flat on that best-of-show pinwheel, and I think one of the first-place entries is a paper-pieced Judy Niemeyer pattern: If so, I have to imagine it took the better part of a year just to piece it. Your entries do look like they probably provided stiff competition, though. I love the colors and the design effects on both.

    And I'm enough my father's daughter to be slightly disappointed that none of the "Adult Projects" were even slightly risque.

    ReplyDelete