The Fat Quarter shop was offering a Mystery Christmas quilt over a four week period. The Week One introduction, titled Spruced Up, caught my eye as being especially cheery and I loved the fabric selection. It was shown in the Poinsettia and Pear line by Sherri and Chelsi. To me it was red and green Christmas with a playful tweak of corals and lime substitution. The pattern was a four issue free download release weekly. I religiously downloaded the patterns and came to the realization I really did want to make this 31.5" x 36.5" wallhanging. It was no longer a mystery since I peeked ahead before starting. I refrained from buying the kit —rare restraint on my part. I did however, buy a layer cake of the prints I so loved, along with some white houndstooth fabric for the background.
Monday, August 31, 2026
Jolly Tree Farm 1: Spruced Up
The trees initially start out as nine flying geese blocks. From those cut off corners I made four pinwheels with two HSTs leftover.
I had nine HSTs with red on the right and nine HSTs with red on the left, all with green on the bottom. I joined them into two pinwheels with green centers and two pinwheels with red centers.
There were two simple orphan HSTs and two complex HSTs that did not make it into pinwheels. Maybe they will go with other HSTs from later blocks.
Despite my distraction with the "leftovers", I did complete the first of of four sections. Spruced Up measures 11½" x 18½". See? The houndstooth all faces the same way. The block as well as the extras are shown in the second photo. Also notice there is about the same amount of fabric in those cut-offs as in the finished block.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment