Friday, February 7, 2014

Fill-In Baby Projects

I like to post about my works in progress. But what if that work is a gift and the recipient reads your blog? That is my situation with the quilt for my second grand-daughter. It is completed and has been for a couple weeks but I must delay publishing about the finished product until after the baby shower tomorrow since my daughter-in-law faithfully follows my blog and supports me with comments. I've drafted the posts so they can be finalized and published soon.

In the intermin, what else, but burp cloths. There seems to be an abundance of babies being born - all female! One of the groomsmen at my son's wedding is expecting a baby girl this month. The theme for the nursery is owls so here are half a dozen burp cloths for the new arrival. Of course I have a ton of flannel in my stash but none with owls. So, martyr that I am, I searched online and bought some owl themed flannel.

I like to make burp cloths in pairs that are complements of each other. These soft green dots that I had in my stash went well with the flowers and owls of this coral, olive, and turquoise print flannel by Timeless Treasures.


I had a quarter yard of the striped fabric but it was a nine inch length instead of a fat quarter so this pair of burp cloths is two of the same instead of complements of each other. The owl print is Michael Miller's Forest Life.


The next flannel prints are from a line called Urban Flotologie by Ann Kelle for Robert Kaufman fabrics. The perky Park Play flannel and the bright hot pink Balloons flannel make a playful pairing. I looked it up and flotologie is not a word but it sure sounds like it should be one. It aptly describes clouds and balloons and kites that are all part of the fabric line.


I bought these owl flannels from the Urban Zoologie line at the Fat Quarter Shop. Now zoology is a word, just spelled differently. However, I decided they were more for a boy and so did not make them up into burp cloths. Nothing in my stash could pair with them to feminize them enough to my taste. But someday, somewhere, someone is going to have a boy and then look out for the barrage of burp cloths!


I also sewed up a cloth book for my 16 month old granddaughter who is really into books. Since she does not read the blog – not yet at least – I can show the cute Thor and the Days of Yore cloth book I made for her this week. She can however, at this young age, swipe the apps on a cell phone. She also recognizes the sound of Skype and hollers Dad-dee, Dad-dee until he appears on the screen of the laptop from wherever he has had to travel to. But I digress. Back to the book.

Here are the front and back cover panel and the book pages in sequence. It really is a cute story and the purple scale border is such a primary bright hue.







The instruction panel has the complete text of the book and an image of the Dragon Thor. I need to figure out a way to back that image and make a little dragon doll to go with the book. My goal it to get both to her by Valentine's Day.


2 comments:

  1. Gah, I love the book! It is so bright and fun. Can't wait to read it to little A. And those Owl burp cloths are adorable - well worth the every to go out of your wan and find the fabric (martyr that you are...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love doing these cloth books. The colors are generally bright and cheery and they make up so quickly they do not become a UFO.

    ReplyDelete