Thursday, April 14, 2016

Paisley Owl Nesting

I'd set aside working on the "Pink and Green" quilt for my eagerly anticipated granddaughter for nearly two weeks. I had paused to digest and figure out how I was going to incorporate the feature owl paisley fabric I loved so much. That yardage had been my jumping off point for color selection but it was too pretty to not have larger uncut sections of it somewhere. I wanted it to appear as if the owls were nesting amongst the quilt blocks. My introductory post on this quilt was March 31, 2016. The basic block size was 7¼" and the vertical repeat on the owl was 7½". I initially thought that these dimensions were serendipitously close enough that I would simply substitute out a pieced block for an owl square several places.


This plan seemed adequate but once ¼" seam allowances were taken, I was concerned that the owl might look a bit crowded. What if I shortened the "nine-patch" blocks above and below to be only two rows high and had 11¾" tall owls? Somehow this option seemed disproportionately tall to me and I did not like the partial repeat of an adjacent owl.


There was alway the compromise of removing a row from just one block and having a 9½" tall owl. This looked better height wise and the neighboring owls were not so obvious. But if I centered the block vertically this approach would would entail partial rows of the nine-patch. Partial rows did not appeal.


Then I realized I could offset the owl block vertically and reduce only one nine-patch block by one-third in height. This asymmetrical arrangement also offered me the freedom to put a square-within-a-square block above or below. The outermost strip size of a square-within-a-square block is not a multiple of the basic 2¾" grid of the quilt top so I thought trimming it smaller would look odd. I decided to forge ahead with the vertical offset design, cutting the owl paisley fabric into 7¼" wide by 9½" tall rectangles. Final quilt assembly will need to be by columns rather than rows but I can handle that. An owl rectangle will always need two-thirds of a nine-patch above or below but that is not too restrictive.


My next step is to make a couple more sets of nine-patch and square-in-a-square blocks from other pairings of fat quarters. For now, I am hooking up to Let's Bee Social #120 before heading back to my sewing room.

4 comments:

  1. I've been organizing outfits and props for our maternity and newborn photos and look forward to using this quilt in Baby Girl Chambers #2's newborn photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I better get hopping and finish it before then!

      Delete
  2. Your creations are always so thoughtful and original. I love hearing how your mind works and the reasoning behind the choices. The owl fabric is gorgeous and I agree with your proportions on cutting those squares. Can't wait to see the final quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your uplifting comments and faithful following. In my next post on this quilt I reveal that the honeymoon is over as I struggle to arrange and rearrange the blocks in a pleasing manner. My husband actually queried me, "Don't you think you are over-thinking this... just a bit?" I, too, cannot wait to see the final quilt!

      Delete