Monday, July 25, 2016

FMQ – Easier to Do than Decide

I recently completed a quilt titled Overlapping Squares. My husband and I just got back from a trip last week and I was downloading photos from his cell phone when I discovered this trio of candid photos. He'd taken them of me last month while I was deciding how to do the FMQ on Overlapping Squares. I'd wanted the quilting to be effective but within my skill range so I had to really think it through. What was the optimal quilt path, most attractive stitch spacing, etc.?  Hmmm...


He always teases me about my classic hands-on-hip pose when I start to concentrate on figuring something out.


The frustration must have been setting in at this point since I have progressed past the hands-on-hip phase. Aargh! I do enjoy my hobby – honest, I do!


Hope this triptych gave you a laugh and that you are able see a bit of this aspect of quilting in yourself occasionally.

For those who missed the actual FMQ post, it was published June 8, 2016 and titled Overlapping Squares Completed.  Here is one of the photos of the quilt under deliberation in the previous photos.

5 comments:

  1. These photos are awesome. So typical of what goes on behind the scenes! I think this quilt is wonderful! I love the way the color values graduate and I really like the sunray quilting on the five diagonal blocks. I've always liked these kind of 3D looking quilts. BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment and for stopping to visit and comment. I too love color variations and ombre type looks.

      Delete
  2. Ha! Those are some classic poses. I feel your pain (although you look WAY less annoyed than I do when I can't decide something), and I love that little glimpse of your sewing room in the background (and our living room). I'm glad you figured it out, because that sure is a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a more modern vibe than my usual style of quilts. But you know the saying... fake it til you make it...

      Delete
  3. Yep, that looks a lot like me during decision time! I usually hang the quilt over the love seat in my living room, and sit in the opposite corner staring at it hoping inspiration will hit. LOL You did a fabulous job with the quilting...I really like the way the lines radiate from the circles in the diagonal row of blocks. Great job!

    ReplyDelete