Sunday, August 16, 2020

Third Saturday of August 2020

For "Hang Your Quilt Day" this month the theme was Hot August Nights or Dog Days of Summer. I chose my Overlapping Squares quilt because the reds and golds reminded me of a summer sunset after a long hot afternoon. A refreshing treat on a hot day is a thick slice of ice-cold watermelon and so I added the watermelon quilt. The stand I bought worked well – easier to hang the quilts and much safer.  After my husband's ladder near-fall hanging my quilts the third Saturday of July, (post dated 7/18/2020), I pursued this alternate option and am very happy with its performance and the results. 


The theme meshed well with the weather on August 15th. The weekend in Livermore was hot, as attested to by the thermometer in the shade on my back deck.


A post for the completion of Overlapping Squares is dated 6/8/2016. It was one of my earlier forays into quilting concentric circles and radial lines with rulers.

  

The watermelon quilt pre-dates my blogging (before 2011). It is from an old Debbie Mumm book Quick Country Quilting ©1992. The wooden beads for the seeds was my own addition.



Beginning April 2020, my quilt guild began a tradition of hanging quilts in the front of their homes on the third Saturday of the month as a source of enjoyment for the community and as a thank you for the essential workers during the pandemic. My initial post about this practice is dated 4/22/20.

2 comments:

  1. Acknowledging the end of an era - the stand came with hold down bags to be filled with sand. I have kept about ten gallons of sand for maybe 30+ years to use when putting out luminaries each Christmas Eve. Sadly, the tradition died one year when we went to OK for Xmas. So now I used the sand in the sandbags (maybe 10% of it anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, how old IS that Watermelon quilt? it still looks fun, crisp, and in style, but I feel like it's been around for well over a decade. That is some crazy heat, and reading the comment above, I hope you'll reconsider the luminary tradition for this year - granted, I guess mixing with the neighbors is not the wisest right now. but this is definitely a year for good Christmas displays!!!

    ReplyDelete