Saturday, July 17, 2021

Third Saturday of July 2021

The theme for "Hang Your Quilt Day" this July was American patriotic, which I loosely interpreted as Americana. I wanted a change from red, white, and blue and for some reason sunflowers alway make me think of Americana. On the left is my newly completed Sunflowers. In the middle is an old wallhanging from June 2004. The third item on the right is not a quilt, but a tablecloth. It fits in with my sunflower Americana theme so I hung it with the other two.


Sunflowers 38½" x 53½"
Sunflowers is made from twelve Block of the Month kits from April this year. Yesterday's post dated 7/16/21 has more details about the block assembly and free motion quilting


Debbie Mumm inspired 40" x 40"

This wall hanging measures 40" x 40" and was completed in June of 2004 using a 2" grid of squares. It was born of a mystery project where once a week for four weeks participants were given a clue: make a certain number of HSTs, join them into a certain number of pinwheels, cut a certain number of background squares, assemble two style of block and alternate them to produce a secondary pattern. The background was a tonal collection of beige plaids and stripes. Although many squares do make for a lot of background piecing I like the overall mottled effect. Sunflowers were popular at a time when I was enamored with the designer Debbie Mumm. Though the barn red, mellow gold, and muted green colorway is from a different era, I still love that it has those cheery sunflowers sprinkled throughout which justified my adding it to this month's display. More details are included in my post for 3/31/2014.


Checkered table cloth
Some fabric is too cute to cutup. I hemmed these 3 yards of 54" wide fabric to use as a table cloth. I could not bear to slice up the borders with bicycles, sunflowers, lemonade, and watermelon. Because of its Americana feel and sunflowers, I gave myself permission to add it to in July's "Hang Your Quilt Day".


Hang Your Quilt Day Beginnings
Beginning April 2020, my quilt guild members began a tradition of hanging quilts in the front of their homes on the third Saturday of the month as a source of enjoyment for the community and as a thank you for the essential workers during the pandemic. My initial post about this practice is dated 4/22/20. I am pleased to see the displays are still going on and even more pleased that the pandemic restrictions have eased up.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely display! I too love the idea of branching out into "Americana" for the month, and that sunflower quilt is amazing. I remember that Debbie Mumm phase very well, and the company is still active and being run by "Steve Mumm", aka her husband (or I guess it could be a like-named son). They're a little tight-lipped on where Debbie Herself is, but with 850 million licenses sold worldwide, I guess she can't be personally creating ALL that art any more! The site is pretty cool - apparently she's sold 44 MILLION yards of fabric as well. https://www.debbiemumm.com/about.html

    ReplyDelete