Thursday, July 15, 2021

Web and Ribbon Key Fobs

One of the vendors I visited when I went to the Road2CA quilt show in January 2018 was Renaissaance Ribbons where I bought this key fob. It is sturdy, just the right size for my hand, and easy to find  in my purse. I have used it daily for over three years and it has held up very well.



Last year I became inspired to buy the ribbons, cotton webbing, and hardware to make some key fobs of my own. They are a small, quickly completed project, and a welcome hiatus in my quilting. This is the starter kit I bought with ribbon, hardware, and webbing.


A friend of ours just bought a new car so I now had a reason to custom make some key fobs. When sewing the ribbon on the webbing, I changed out the needle in my Pfaff to heavier gauge one, 100/16 used for sewing jeans, and lengthened my stitch a small amount.  A few months ago, in anticipation of this new craft, I'd also bought, on Amazon, pliers recommended to crimp down the hardware. They have curved jaws and are rubber coated so they do not mar the metal clamp at the end. They were relatively inexpensive. They will stay in my sewing room and not migrate to the garage to intermingle with my husband's tools.

  

The instruction to make the key fobs are in a Renaissance Ribbon blog post and I also found several YouTube videos on the topic.


Here is the his and her pair I made for our friends, coordinating but not matching.


When I showed my husband, he asked, "Where's mine?" I told him I had more ribbon options soon to arrive that I'd just ordered since there was a one-week-only 15% off sale. I showed him my online order of what was coming and he picked these squirrels. Then he asked if I could make his key fob double ended. The web is full of inspiration and of course I could. I also plan to make some shorter fobs for back packs or other zipper pulls. After all, I did order cotton webbing in a variety of colors and all those sale ribbons to stitch on it. Those turquoise squirrels look great on the turquoise webbing – almost like I bought them to go together (which I did).

1 comment:

  1. Whoa - this is cool! I have admired these at New World Comic Con and wondered how hard they are to make... would you be willing to make some of these as backpack zipper pulls for your grandkids? Etsy does a ton of cool custom ribbons, using themes they are interested in. I LOVE that rainbow optical illusion ribbon for your friends though, and I also love that turquoise squirrel!

    ReplyDelete