Sunday, April 3, 2022

Quilt by the Numbers - Assembly and FMQ Planning

Last post on this quilt in progress was 3/5/21 – yes, about one year ago – where I left off trying to arrange the 48 blocks I'd made. The 8 rows of 6 had a few blocks that just did not go together; the blocks with the figure prints, my favorites, were not prominent enough. I tried grouping the figure print blocks all together and that arrangement was too busy. 

A few blocks did not have enough contrast and others, those predominantly navy with yellow details, just looked olive drab dark at a distance. Acknowledging that I do poorly at random arranging, I strove instead to make order out of chaos with a pattern. Throwing out some blocks, making more blocks, and ordering them on a diagonal by color seemed to do the trick for me. The blocks I'd thrown out were the olive drab ones. I needed more yellow blocks and something to pair with yellow. I invaded my stash for some fabrics not in the initial layer cake. Solid white stuck out like a sore thumb but white with tiny orangey-yellow dots came to the rescue. It was still two-toned like the other prints.

Since I last touched this project about a year ago, I have made additional blocks and re-arranged them into a square quilt of 64 blocks; 8 rows of 6 changed to 8 rows of 8.  A few blocks made up in multicolor fabric were cheerful but seemed to stick out oddly among the other two-toned blocks. I kept those somewhat distracting-but-happy multicolor blocks, relocating them toward edges so they would be a bit more subtle. I liked that fabric enough though, that I was able to locate and buy some on eBay for the backing. Most likely I will also use that fabric for the binding. I made my quilt sandwich and hung the assembly over my upstairs railing so I could stare at it, waiting for FMQ inspiration to come to me.



Now how to FMQ this? A basic block has three triangles on a diagonal. Standing back I noticed that quartets of four blocks either appeared to surround circles (with out-pointing middle triangles) or surround diamonds (with in-pointing middle triangles). Each quartet measures about 17" x 17". There are sixteen quartets in this quilt



Since this quilt has a contemporary feel, I wanted the FMQ to reflect the same tone so I auditioned concentric circles and concentric diamonds. I liked the effect but needed to play with the spacing and size. I do not want this quilt too densely quilted and get in the way of a gentle drape (or take me forever to quilt). I am toying with the idea of unequal spacing and perhaps some embellishment between concentric shapes.


I slid two extra blocks inside sheet protectors and sketched some possible fillers between concentric shapes. I tried diagonal lines inside the inward pointing triangles; four of these would form  concentric diamonds. I tried arcs inside the outward pointing triangles; four of these would form concentric circles.



I then spent an inordinate amount of time with an excel spreadsheet trying to calculate what specific circle diameters were needed to encase a integral number of small circles. Eventually I realized that even if a got compatible sizes, correct to three decimals places, I still needed to have rulers in that particular size. I went with the "eyeball and trial and error" method and finally came up with a configuration that could work with some minimal fudging at the stitching phase. I made a paper model and then tested the stitching out on some spare blocks to establish how difficult the actual execution would be. In my next post I show my testing and final design commitment.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one with projects that sit forever! This quilt REALLY hit its stride once you pieced it (maybe the secondary pattern only came out once the seam allowances were removed, and I too would have spent a while on the geometry before realizing that the natural limit was actually the hardware/rulers I had available. Although you could always make your own template with plastic! I can't wait to see how this turned out in the end.

    ReplyDelete