Friday, September 16, 2022

Midnight Crossing - Borders

The outer sashing is a different fabric, a mini floral rather than the mini-dots of the inner sashing; I am pleased the subtle variation adds a bit more interest. I added the outer sashing two days ago and it took most of the afternoon. Since there are only four long seams I anticipated adding that sashing would go more quickly that it did; but I'd forgotten how much time it generally takes to match up all the existing seams at the corner posts with care to ensure the right angles mate well. I sewed slowly, also, to be sure that I did not nip off any star points and that the seam allowances from the blocks remained facing the preferred pressing direction.

The quilt in progress has now outgrown the bed and hangs over my upstairs railing. It awaits the inner grey border and the outer orange border. No seams to match or points to watch out for when I add those!


Inner and outer borders were added yesterday. Here is a quick look at the upper left corner. Borders really do add something. I must remember to do that framing touch to more of my quilts. (Hmmm... I really should have smoothed the folded top out better before photographing. It truly is more square than it looks.) The diagonal seaming for border length did camouflage well. Next up is piecing the back and sandwiching with batting.

No comments:

Post a Comment