Saturday, September 30, 2023

Visit to Back Porch Fabrics

For our 48th wedding anniversary, my husband and I spent two nights in Pacific Grove at the Seven Gables Inn with a scenic view out onto Monterey Bay. Within a few blocks, walking distance, is Back Porch Fabrics. Frank knows what keeps me happy.



We went there first thing the first morning after breakfast and drove the short distance. Frank rationalized driving rather than walking by, "What if you have a lot of fabrics to carry back?" Here are my purchases; I was well behaved. Upon entering, I immediately saw a fabric panel displayed on the counter, and I fell in love with it instantly.


Out of habit I visited the sales table first and picked up two fat quarter bundles, basically at half price. They were made up of a majority of solids and so I feel confident that I can put them to good use. I try to steer away from novelties to rein in my stash size.


The two fat quarters on the left of the first bundle and the one chili peppers fat quarter on the right of the second bundle may be tricky to use up but the rest are solids or low volumes that easily read as solids.



I also spotted a novelty fat quarter with a knitting theme. My sister is an avid knitter. Then one of the clerks pointed out to me they the shop had that print in yardage. I bought 1¼ yards, reasoning I could make a large square pillow. The sayings are so cute..."If I'm sitting 💓 I'm knitting", "Knitting is the New Yoga", "100 rows a day keeps the shrink away", etc. Look closely for more witticisms. Also note in the selvage that there are 18 different colors in this fabric. My coordinating possibilities are nearly endless!


Once I got home I used ½ yard of the knitting fabric combined with a pink stripe from my stash to make a tote bag for knitting. It worked up really fast. The inside lining is the pink stripe so it will be nice and light for looking inside. I still have ¾ yard of the knitting theme fabric so maybe I will make a pillowcase for sleeping - perhaps to use when not knitting?


The pattern I used I also bought at Back Porch Fabrics. Called Turn It Into a Tote, the one-page set of instructions was designed by the shop owner and takes only ½ yard of the theme fabric and 1 yard of another coordinate.


I also bought a pattern called Magic Block, also designed by the shop owner. It is quite easy to piece but the assortment of assembly options were quite clever. I always like to reward a designer's creativity by supporting them with a purchase. The quilt on the wall made from the pattern was one of the options I was very drawn to. It looks like the quilt top takes only one fabric combined with a contrasting background assortment. This pattern could work well for using up many of my novelties.


The shopping expedition was fun, but fabric is not the only mighty fine thing to look at!

1 comment:

  1. Makes me want to go back to Pacific Grove, or make a cute quilt. Your ending was the best. Happy Anniversary

    ReplyDelete