Friday, June 14, 2024

Entries for AVQ show

My quilt guild, Amador Valley Quilters, is having its quilt show next weekend June 22 and 23 in Livermore CA. I had drafted this post back on April 12 for my entries into the show.  This weekend I will be dropping off the quilts and I plan to blog about the show after it is finished. 

MY ENTRIES:
1)  
Tipus and Treetops
9/4/23
48" x 48"
https://dianeloves2quilt.blogspot.com/2023/09/tipus-and-treetops-completion.html

The focus fabric of Tipus and Treetops is by Lotta Jansdotter. Free pattern was from the Fat Quarter Shop. A tipu is a very young, downy chick. I took my time fussy cutting and had fun practicing my FMQ with echo quilting, clamshells, curved grid, wavy lines, diamond grid, and dot-to-dot four leaf clusters. Piecing the back also made me smile.


2) Pieces of Blue 
4/10/23
38" x 49"
https://dianeloves2quilt.blogspot.com/2023/04/unanticipated-project-completion.html

In spring of 2020, 24 ladies from AVQ formed a group called Pieces of Blue. Each quilter contributed six fat quarters in a shade of blue, which were intermingled and redistributed randomly. Pattern each month was Jacob's Ladder, Snail's Trail, Bear's Paw, Capital T, or Flying Geese. I used six blocks, bordering with scraps, then FMQing.

3) Whirligiggles
3/23/20 
74" tall by 56" wide
https://dianeloves2quilt.blogspot.com/2020/03/whirligiggles-completion.html

The gray/white neutral pinwheels make me think of a whirligig. The bright stripes, checks, swirls, dots, and squiggles fabrics for the star hexagons are frivolous enough they make me giggle. Hence, the name Whirligiggles. Pattern is tweaked from Flying Circles by Sandy Klop and is only one pattern piece. I certainly got my practice with Y-seams.


X Marks the Spot is a kit of Moda's All Hallow's Eve fabric line with some minor swaps. It appealed because, although seasonal, the color palette is softer than the typical bright orange and stark black of Halloween. The intricacies of the piecing were also an enticement. The pattern is named Midnight Crossing, by Fig Tree & Co.

5) Blue Hues
12/30/18
48" by 60"
https://dianeloves2quilt.blogspot.com/2018/12/blue-hues-finish.html

I purchased this laser cut quilt kit, designed by John Flynn, at the 2017 Houston Quilt Festival. The name Blue Hues has a double entendre - Hues for the blue color variation and Hues short for Houston. I have displayed this quilt at the Alden Lane 2019 show. Because I am proud of my curved piecing and FMQ, I am displaying it again.

0) Cut ups quilt
12/23/23 54" x 72"
 https://dianeloves2quilt.blogspot.com/2023/12/cut-ups-community-quilt.html

AVQ has a twelve-person sub-group called the Cut Ups. At each monthly meeting, one member proposes a pattern and fabrics. Members each make one or more blocks. There were twelve color choices from a fat quarter bundle using the Open Options quilt pattern by Material Girlfriends. The finished quilt will be donated to charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment