Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Midnight Crossing - Blocks Continued

Having completed six blocks as per my 8/18/22 post, I forged on ahead intending to sew up six more. I sewed four instead of six because of the time I needed to recover from two goofs. Can you spot the first mistake? For each block I carefully lay out all the pieces in the correct orientation yet all it takes is one slight flick of my wrist to rotate a unit the wrong way just before it slides under the pressure foot and the needle chomps it in place. I noticed this on the final seam of the block when the seam allowances were not facing the routine way I had come to expect with my consistent pressing direction. I ripped out three short seams, spun that black sheep unit 90°counterclockwise (middle of the left side), and stitched it back in place. 

For my second goof, I messed up and cut squares instead of rectangles out of one of the fat quarters in the kit. There was a time delay to go out and buy a replacement fat quarter from the same Hallow's Eve fabric line. I could not get the same exact orange print, but I got a half yard of something that I can substitute easily. The zigzag fabric will fill in for the mini-dots I cut wrong. There very well may be some orange mini-dot checkerboards in my future.


Here are the two block designs I completed for this post. There would have been one more design executed had it not been for the effort expended in correcting those two whoops. Next shown is these blocks with the one each of the previous six blocks completed thus far. They are on the design wall with the orange and black X centers alternating. Ten blocks down, six to go.



1 comment:

  1. Oof! Mistakes are no fun. But keep chugging, I can't wait to see the finished result.

    Also, that block on the far right in the bottom photo reads brown to me, even though on a close-up I can see that it's actually black and white Xs on an orange background. It's pretty cool that the quits design at large incorporates the shape of that print!

    ReplyDelete