Monday, August 29, 2022

Midnight Crossing - Checkered Sashing Posts

The next step in my Midnight crossings quilt is to make 25 checkered post for the intersection of the horizontal and vertical sashings. I'd already covered the sixteen blocks in three previous posts: 
8/18/22 post for block pairs 1,2,3, 8/23/22 post for block pairs 4,5 and 8/27/22 post for block pairs 6,7,8. The sashing posts start out with strips of the black and the cream sewed into two black/cream/black bands and one cream/black/cream band. I stack these three bands, nesting where possible, and slice them into twenty-five narrow, three layer, three-square segments.


I divided these three-square segments into stacks of five and began chain stitching them together. The goal was for them to be 3½ squares and they came pretty close, close enough I am going to punt trimming them.


I have a thing for the prints to all line up the same way, and they did. Here are my five stacks of five corner posts each waiting for sashing.


Before cutting my sashing I thought it would be wise to check my block size. Each block is supposed to be 11¾" and this sample one comes a small bit under by about ⅛ ". I am going to give them a good press and see how consistent the sixteen of them are before considering adjusting my sashing lengths. An ⅛" is fudgeable (i.e., able to be fudged) in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment