Saturday, August 20, 2022

Third Saturday of August 2022

For August this year, my guild was encouraged to hang quilts with the theme of Hot August Nights. Not wanting to duplicate what I displayed for the Third Saturday of August of 2021, which had the same theme, I picked two wall hangings with hot colors instead. One has a black background for hot August nights and the other has a white background for hot August days. 


Hot August night quilt
I did not make this quilt but rather picked it up from a vendor at a random quilt show perhaps five or so years ago because my husband, a cat lover, really liked it when he saw it. It measures 37½" x 44½". When we brought it home, he draped it over the computer chair in his office. The cat liked it, too. It does not have a name other than the rather unimaginative Frank's_cat_quilt. It has no blog post associated with it nor did it make its way into any of my annul list of completions.

Hot August day quilt
I made only two blocks in this quilt. The rest I won in one of my guild's block of the month drawings in 2018. I did assembly the 32" x 32" wall hanging though, as described in my 2/5/2019 post. The hot red triangles appear to be tossed about by an occasional cool breeze. This quilt, too, has no name other than the equally unimaginative Quilt_I_assembled_from_blocks_of_the_month. I did complete it in 2020, a year I simply marked by hand with pen in one lower corner opposite my initials in the opposite lower corner.

Interestingly enough, the sewing I did on these two quilts is little to none. That is quite fitting. Since August is so hot, who wants to work hard? Even the backs are kinda hot.

Hang Your Quilt Day
Beginning April 2020, my quilt guild members began a tradition of hanging quilts in the front of their homes on the third Saturday of the month as a source of enjoyment for the community and as a thank you for the essential workers during the pandemic. My initial post about this practice is in my blog post dated 4/22/2020.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha - maybe in August it's too hot to think of good names! It certainly was out here in OK. I've often looked at finished quilts in other shops before, but I've yet to pull the trigger on buying one: I do love that cat one though! Maybe you could call it "Neon purr" - or "Neon Fur" if the cat likes to sleep on it that much :-)

    I love the colors on the quilt you assembled from guild blocks! Though I caution that in Oklahoma the mixing of hot and cold air would be the recipe a tornado. You did pick the perfect backing for that quilt though, and maybe I can think of those blocks as one season rolling into another.

    ReplyDelete