Saturday, August 21, 2021

Third Saturday of August 2021

My guild's theme for "Hang Your Quilt Day" this August was "Hot August Nights". The rich warm reds and golds of this quilt, Overlapping Squares, made me think hot, hot, hot. The purples remind me of night skies. In retrospect, I wish I had named this quilt Hot August Nights instead of the mundane Overlapping Squares. I hung only this quilt this month, feeling its tones were a sufficient homage to the heat. Our weather is currently is so hot, many wildfires now dot my state of California. The lingering scent of smoke in the air is a continual reminder.

Overlapping Squares 48" x 48"

The completion of Overlapping Squares is detailed in my post dated 6/8/2016. It is made from a kit I bought in North Carolina while visiting my sister many, many years ago. It is fussy cut from three ombre striped fabrics in the colorways, Pumpkin (yellow-golds), Blossom (coral-reds), or Iris (lilac-purples). I had pieced it before I ever started blogging (so prior to 2011) but it lingered for FMQ until 2016; but I did start and finish it eventually. It was one of my first FMQ attempts with ruler work and I think it is one of my favorites.

Hang Your Quilt Day Beginnings (and Ongoings)
Beginning April 2020, my quilt guild members began a tradition of hanging quilts in the front of their homes on the third Saturday of the month as a source of enjoyment for the community and as a thank you for the essential workers during the pandemic. My initial post about this practice is dated 4/22/20. I am pleased to see the displays are still going on – although not so pleased that the pandemic still is. As the delta variant of COVID-19 ramps up, it is even more important we continue to bring some visual joy into our neighborhoods. This month we also say thank you to the firefighters who have been working such long, hard hours.

1 comment:

  1. What a cute idea to decorate your neighborhood like this. I live out in the country so no one would see it if I put a quilt out front! But I do like the idea!

    ReplyDelete