Thursday, August 5, 2021

Surprise Baby Burpcloths

I found out about the imminent birth of a new grandnephew "a week or two" before the baby's due date. This was a happy occasion for my nephew and his wife, since they believed they would never be parents. They were thrilled with the news. Obviously they did have more notice than I did however. The mom delivered an 8 lb 15 oz, 22½" long boy on July 30, 2021. I jumped into burp cloth mode when I heard the announcement. 

Here are the ten I made. First up were pairs of turtles, tractors, and cats. When the weather gets colder, the baby will still be spitting up and so for winter I added pairs of snowmen and penguins. 






Each burp cloth is made from two fat quarters and finishes at 12½" x 18" as shown in the following photo. In the previous photos they are folded in thirds. 


Two half yard cuts form a complementary pair of two burp cloths, the back of one is the same fabric as the triple thickness center strip of its counterpart. I am pleased to report my drawer of half-yard cuts of flannel is actually beginning to dwindle. Instructions to make the burp cloths are in an earlier blog post of mine dated June 18, 2014. Note the flannel must be 42" or so wide and not the typical 36" width of vintage flannel if you happen to have older yardage.

1 comment:

  1. OMG that train!!! I love it, reminds me of *my* grandfather, who is also the grandfather of the baby's dad. Your Burp cloths are always well loved in my circle, so I am sure they will be well received by your nephew. And, yay for a new baby in the family. I am sure the color and composition of these burp cloths will delight him as well.

    ReplyDelete