Friday, August 6, 2021

Meet the Dinosaurs

I thought I'd run out of babies before I'd finish emptying my drawer of baby cloth book panels. A surprise grandnephew solved that dilemma. I will add this cloth book to the burp cloths I made for him (post dated 8/5/21).


These are the pages once they are sewn front to back and before they are joined at the spine. I inserted washable crinkly wrap inside the middle page so it makes crackling sound for the baby as the pages are turned or merely if parts of the book are stuffed into his mouth.



Here in the poem inside, with text hopefully enlarged enough to read in this post.


Occasionally these book panels are printed catywampus off grain, as was this one. I merely stretched it on the bias to square it up as much as possibly. When I sandwiched the pages with batting before stitching, I trimmed off any stray corners that would not obey. No off-kilter panel should ever be left behind. The bright and cheery colors of the finished product make me smile and made it worth the extra effort. 

2 comments:

  1. First off, I tried to go back so I could pick up where I left off on commenting on your blog and... oh WOW am behind! If you can check your comments and see which one was previous most recent comment, I will see if I can play a little catch-up.

    Second, this book is so cute! The books you made for my kids have been passed on to *my* nephew, where I see them in frequent use - looks like the twins will get them next - so I am sure this one will have a long and cherished life as well. And that crinkle paper! My kids loved that in their storebought stuff, so adding it to a homemade book sounds like the best idea ever!!!

    And if you need a little help emptying out that drawer on upcoming little kids, I do have 3 nephews on the way (and one 10 month old) who I am sure would groove on these cloth books if you made them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like making cloth books too. As for adding that crinkly feel and sound to a baby or toddler toy, I use a potato chip bag. Wash it well and dry it. Then cut it to the size you need. Works great!!

    ReplyDelete