Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Bathing and Sleeping Beauties

I really only made one item since my shop hop last week. I figured after buying one quarter yard each of three blue fabrics, just for an accent strip on two pillowcases, I'd better make up those pillowcases before I kept buying more trial fabrics in search of the perfect blue. I liked the outcome of the blue batik triangle accent sandwiched between the bathing beauty focus fabric of the main body and the orange swirl fabric of the border. The swirls remind me of the froth on waves. The way the rows of navy triangles undulate suggest wave motion to me.


Seeing the trio up close now it appeared to me that those dark blue triangles look like shark fins protruding from the water. Oh, no! Banish that thought. I want sweet dreams in my seaside themed master bedroom. Do NOT cue music from the movie Jaws!


Backing off a bit to look at the effect of the two pillows side by side, they no longer scream "Shark! Get out of the water!" to me. The pillowcases have the same colors as the duvet cover I bought at one of those home design discount stores. I would not mix these two prints in a quilt, one graphically bold and one delicately detailed, so I probably would opt to display the solid colored, safer pillows on top with this dominant side of the duvet cover.


When I use the reverse side of the duvet cover with its calmer blue mini-print, I'd pair and feature the bathing beauties, placing them on top. I like their bouncy appeal and I like the combination of navy, blue, and orange.


Speaking of navy and orange, my seven week old granddaughter arrived for a week's visit and look at her outfit. Navy with orange polka dots! This is the sleeping beauty to go with the bathing beauties.


She brought along her two-year old sister and her mom. These last few days my sewing time was diminished so I could prepare for them. No regrets. It is well worth it.


Besides, with their visit I get to give away eight more burp cloths from my posts of June 15, 2016 and June 23, 2016. Both kiddos are asleep now so I will take the opportunity to be social at Let's Bee Social #131.

10 comments:

  1. The bathing beauty fabric is really cute! And your granddaughters are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The fabric tickled my funny bone. I have been visiting with granddaughters in southern California , they have been visiting here and I have visited two grand-kiddos in Oklahoma. It's been a busy month hence the slowness of my reply. But I do appreciate your taking the time to visit and comment.

      Delete
  2. Sharks?! Oh, my -- you made me laugh out loud! "Pippin? Where's Pippin?" ;-) I think it's adorable, especially with the shark fins, because the sunbathers on the beach look so peacefully oblivious to the dangers in the water. And your grandchildren are darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I made you laugh. I may have just had shark fins on the brain because my oldest granddaughter (cousin to two girls in the photo) is presently obsessed with sharks. The Pottery Barn near to me closed one of its stores and I got a whole bunch of this year's shark themed merchandise on clearance. Her bed now has shark sheets paired with a My Little Pony comforter. Now that is a combination that rivals those oblivious bathing beauties. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Aw, so jealous you are getting to see those cuties! I cannot wait to L myself :-) Re: the pillow, If you must think sharks, just be aware that the Tulsa aquarium actually has a petting tide pool with small (about 12" long) sharks in it, and they are actually adorable, friendly, and actually quite pleasant to pet - not the same "slimy" sensation as the stingrays, but actually kind of soft and pleasant. *I* don't get a shark-fin vibe from those triangles, but the "bathing beauties" pillowcases are cun, and to each her own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing them made me yearn to see your daughter and son! And actually, if I am going to rest my head on sharks it is good I can think of them as the friendly sharks from Tulsa. Ah, Tulsa OK, smack dab in the center of the USA - definitely the first town that pops into my head when I think of the ocean and sharks... LOL

      Delete
  4. Love that bathing suit fabric, it makes for some really cute pillowcases. And those grand babies - adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes those impulse fabric purchases really pay off and this was one of those times. I am glad I decided to cut into it and use it even though that left me a generous half yard. Thanks for the compliment on the grand babies, too. Always nice to hear from you, Beth.

      Delete
  5. Those pillowcases are so cute! What wonderful fabric finds! I saw the triangles and at first thought of sailboats at dusk. I have a sailing class near my office and they have these teeny tiny little sailboats and they line them all up and tug them back to the docks. That is what I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh... I really love that sailboat imagery. Thanks so much for sharing it.

      Delete