Thursday, September 27, 2018

Quilting Inspiration While Traveling

There is no sewing progress from me to display. I have been working on a gift quilt and cannot reveal it until it's been given, but a post about it is in draft form to be published soon. Additionally, last week, September 15-22, I have been out of my sewing room on an annual vacation trip with two couples from our college days. The trip however, did not keep me from finding fabric and yarn delectables, visiting a quilt store, and admiring quilts. I managed to find quilt associated attractions Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in our destination of Minneapolis, and also in my home town of Livermore the Sunday after our return. That is six days out of nine! All I had to do was be attuned and keep my eyes open. Let me share what I spotted and enjoyed.

On Tuesday 9/18 we visited the American Swedish Institute in Minneapolis where there was a visiting exhibit titled A Colourful Universe featuring artist/designer Gudrum Sjodén.


Her designs are inspiring and full of the pattern, hues, and pops of color I love. Here is my husband Frank peeking between two paint brushes of one of the displays.


Doesn't this basket of painted balls just make you want to smile, reach out, and touch each and every one of them?


Her fashions are dyed with natural vegetable colors. The following photo is of a garland of color samples made in 1960. Some of the plants used to make the dyes are birch leaves, alder buckthorn, indigo, and turmeric.


Gudrun's designs also include housewares. This display was set out in the adjacent Turnblad  Mansion associated with the American Swedish Institute.


After a tour of the American Swedish Institute and the Turnblad Mansion my five gracious non-quilting companions were patient with me while we zipped a few miles away and I dashed into a quilt shop in Minneapolis called Glad Creations. I added to my collection of quilt store license plates with this colorful coral plate.


The shop owners were cheerful and great fun and willingly posed for a photo upon my request.


At first I selected only items unique to Minnesota or to the shop. First was this pattern book titled Minnesota Memories. My husband was bemused that the book author even had the sense of humor to add a mosquito as one of the pieced blocks.


Then there was this pattern designed by the shop owners. I like that, as its title Just a Bit Modern says, it is modern but not too much so - just as much to my liking. I am not a fan of a great deal of "negative space". It is too scary to try to quilt all that open area. Plus, piecing is my favorite part of quilting.


But then, not content to limit myself to strictly local wares, I bought a bit of fabric. This roll of 8 fat quarters caught my eye.


It had four ivory background and four black background fabrics of four fine-feathered-friend-themed designs: birds, eggs, birdhouses, and feathers painted in a watercolor type fashion.



I also selected two patterns. One was of a Christmas tree, For Evergreen, simple but cute, with teeny tiny bells on the tips of the boughs and a clever name.


I caved and bought Elizabeth Hartman's North Stars block collection. The samples made up in the store were so precious that passing up this pattern was impossible. 


On the next day's outing Wednesday 9/19, at the gift shop for the Mill City Museum,  I snagged these adorable button pushpins to use in my sewing room.


On Thursday 9/20 we visited the Mall of America. Besides the amusement park within and an assortment of generic mall stores I found this crochet shop replete with luscious yarn.



Ooh... more colors!


On our Friday 9/20 outing, I found this quilt displayed in the Minnesota History Center's exhibit of weather. It commemorates a man who represents the Pony Express of Minnesota. Per the display description...
This quilt honors John Beargrease, a member of the Grand Portage Chippewa band, who used a dog train to deliver mail between Two Harbors and Grand Marais from 1887 to 1900. The words "The Late Great John Beargrease Marvel Mail Musher" are appliquéd on the sides of the quilt. Amy Cordova, who designed and created the piece is of Hispanic and Native American ancestry.

Although our visit with friends was ending, I could still look for quilting inspiration at the Minnesota airport on Saturday 9/22. Across from our gate there was a exhibit by the Minnesota Women Ceramic Artists. Encased behind glass, it was lovely to look at but not at all optimal for taking photos. I did take a few pictures of those works that were intriguing.


This 2016 statue by Karen Brown was appropriately titled Attitude and the folded arm stance shows it off well. Also notice the kitty faces on the knees, the spiked hoop earrings, and the glitter on the finger nails.


This abstract sculpture reminded me of a 3-D version of quilts I have seen at shows. A 2018 creation of Susan Feigenbaum, it was named Passage to Adventure.


Along the ceiling line of the terminal was this stained glass mural. It too screams hand-dyed ombré fabric quilt to me. The white lines are not part of the design but the reflections of the ceiling lights do add a bit of movement and interest.


My husband and I returned late Saturday 9/22 night – 11:30 pm California time (1:30 am by Minnesota time) – and I needed to rise and shine to volunteer at my 8:30-11:00 am Sunday 9/23 morning shift at Livermore's Alden Lane Nursery's annual Quilting in the Garden show. My assignment was to help little kiddos pick out backing fabric for a hands-on appliqué block project our guild hosts for newbies call Budding Beginners. It is enjoyable watching the young crafters seriously ponder and decide on their choice for block background and then beam with delight at the results after the cut out pieces have been ironed on. After my shift, I did a quick tour of the show with my husband. Perhaps I should say "short" rather than "quick" because by now I was draggin' just a bit.


The ambience is one I enjoy every year and could not pass it up entirely in spite of my travel fatigue. I snapped just a few photos of quilts that had a particular appeal to me.


Number 70 by the Silicon Valley Modern Quilt Guild was curiously named Orchard Through Time.
I did like how it transitioned from neat and tidy in the upper left to more random pixellation in the lower right. The warm palette was welcoming but I found the name to be puzzling.


This next quilt Number 293, was Eleanor Burns of Quilt in a Day fame, the featured artist of the Alden Lane show. As I studied the quilt I noted that there were two log cabin blocks for every other type of block pattern. The orientation of the light halves of the log cabins gave this diagonal appearance. The scalloped edge was a great finishing touch. It was titled Forty Fabulous Years Queen 1930's.


I made only one purchase at the show and it was from Eleanor Burns' booth. I bought a package of 42 2½" strips in textured prints that read like solids. It was 50% off and a staple I can always use.



This quilt of Kaffe Fasset fabrics, Number 8, was by local guest artist Gail Sims. If you check out her website you will note this is not her normal style, so much so that I questioned if my program was perhaps in error. It is titled Summer Delight. I took note of this quilt because I was drawn in by the checked sashing and the on point configuration. Its design inspires me for a methodology I might try in the future to showcase my large print fabrics. I have a penchant for cheery checks.


Before we left the show my husband snapped a final picture of me showing off that watermelon sized pincushion perched atop a bright yellow measuring stick post. Now I need to chill and connect with other folks at Let's Bee Social #243 as I recover from my travels.

3 comments:

  1. You look great in that last picture in the post - you certainly could have fooled me that you just came off a weeklong trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - so much to this post, I don't know where to start! Your trip to the American Swedish Institute looks colorful and inspiring, and I LOVE the colors in those fabrics from Glad Creations. the shop owners make me want to book a trip down there, and that Elizabeth Hartman pattern looks pretty labor intensive, but VERY worth it in the end. And... Alden Lane. That was such a fun quilt show the last time we went, maybe if I can squeeze it in this year I will come home for it again. Also, I think you should make the photo at the bottom your new profile pic - you look so cheery and light, and since your current one is from 2011, you could probably use an update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Carrie made the same comment about my photo. It may very well be time for an update. Seven year itch and all that... And yes, do come out for the Alden Lane show. It is low key and fun.

      Delete