Saturday, August 24, 2019

Stalling or Thinking?

In my previous post I described my struggles with FMQing a quilt. While considering my options I made several pillowcases. I was either stalling starting the FMQ or allowing my brain to subliminally come to a decision as to how to proceed. Either way I have pillowcases to show for it. They  require little thought in their construction for me now that I have made so many, and the selection of fabric combinations and accent strips always gives me pleasure and rejuvenates me.

These first two bunny pillowcases are additional duplicates of the standard sized pair I made for my son Alex and describe near the end of  my 5/27/19 post. The post also included tutorials on how to make these pillowcases. The sea of bunnies marching side by side intermingled with the sea of carrots makes me smile.


Then I had more fun combining fabrics to make two more pair of standard size pillowcases that will go to grandchildren eventually. I could not pass up this curlicue nautical octopus print which I bought just recently at my local quilt shop. The source is Studio-e Anchors Away Tossed Octopus by Sharla Fults 4077-77. I drew from my stash for the soft, blurred, blue/white stripes .




I bought the multi-colored foxes several years ago from a vendor at a  Lowell, Massachusetts quilt show described in my 8/19/2013 post. Since the vendor had only brought fat quarters of this particular print to the show and I loved it,  Waterwheels House Quilt Shop shipped me a yard of each from their store in Vermont to my home in California free of charge. Here I am cheerfully using it six years later.




In my 5/11/2019 post I described some king sized pillows I made for our master bedroom. My husband enjoys them a lot and, remarks about them often, and is incredibly pleased that I made something for us instead of the grandkids as usual – more appreciative than I would have guessed he'd be. I made another two out of this incredibly whimsical cat print.


The mini-plaid end band is from American Jane fabrics and is the perfect shade of soft, muted blues  to blend with and echo the ocean meets sky on the horizon. I had the multi-colored stripe I used for the accent strip as a fat quarter in my stash. It is serendipitous how the coral pink, pale blue, and soft olive tones matched those in the feature fabric of the pillowcase body.


Here are some other closeups of those sunbathing felines.



The kitty fabric was a fairly recent local purchase and the selvage reveals that the design is by PB textiles.


Coming back to the title question of this post... am I stalling or thinking? Truthfully, I believe it is a little of both. But if I enjoy what I am doing while I am doing it and like the results as well, motive is not very important after all.

2 comments:

  1. You're not procrastinating, you're stash-busting! Which is a thing every quilter with a healthy appetite for buying has to do sometimes. Plus, sometimes a problem/project does just need to get mulled over for a bit - I've had last-minute tips & tricks save me on multiple projects now (and get me into trouble a few times, but that is neither here nor there). I love basically all the pillowcases you made this time around - that octopus print is a standout, and I can picture those beach cats in your room right now. All in all this looks like a fun diversion to create space in the sewing room and refresh your batteries. Well done!

    ReplyDelete