Saturday, September 18, 2021

Third Saturday of September 2021

For September, my guild selected the theme of "Back to School" for Hang Your Quilt Day. I chose to hang two quilts I'd made for twin baby boys born just two days ago. The one on the left titled "Counting Stuff" reminds me of the math of school. The middle one titled "Going Places" reminded me of those back to school essays of "What I did on my summer vacation". Both of these share a common theme of Paddington Bear. On the right, a third quilt of Apples is symbolic of the practice of bringing an apple for the teacher. Further details are below the photos and in the provided blog links.




Counting Stuff 48" x 48"
This kit was purchased at a fabric sale of my guild in September 2020. I pieced the top just for fun, with no intended recipient in mind. When I learned that a baby would soon be on the way, I added backing fabric from my stash and FMQ'd it. Details are in my post dated 8/28/21. The number print on the back  is shown in the following photo.

Going Places 48" x 48"
This kit was purchased at a follow-on fabric sale of my guild in July 2021. Having just learned that the mom to be who was getting Counting Stuff would be having twins, finding a kit with the same Paddington theme was serendipitous. I downsized the kit from its intended 56"x56" to 48"x48" to make it the same size as the newborn's brother. The pale blue Paddington backing fabric came with the kit. Details are in my post dated 9/7/21.

Apple Wall Hanging 27" x 48"
This wall hanging came from my early quilting Debbie Mumm time period. I still love checks and the strip piecing methods. I have made apples, watermelon, paper dolls, and tulip wall hangings or quilts from her 1992 book Quick Country Quilting. There are no post links for this apple wall hanging since it predates my blogging days.


Hang Your Quilt Day Beginnings (and Ongoings)
Beginning April 2020, my quilt guild members began a tradition of hanging quilts in the front of their homes on the third Saturday of the month as a source of enjoyment for the community and as a thank you for the essential workers during the pandemic. My initial post about this practice is dated 4/22/20.  This month thanks the teachers who are gallantly striving to educate our children as they return to the classrooms, despite the challenges brought about by the COVID-19 epidemic.

1 comment:

  1. What a great theme for the hang your quilt day! The paddington bear quilts look so festive and so adorable together (both on your wall an in the recipients' home) and I remember that apple quilt from my childhood! Also, did you do those maple leaves at some point also? I recently looked up Debbie Mumm and it looks like the line/aesthetic is still going, but they're a little tihgt-lipped on what Debbie herself is up to. Makes me wonder if, so many years later, other like-minded artists are providing the art and her son (or maybe husband?) is running the line.

    ReplyDelete