Friday, January 14, 2022

2022 Quilting Goals

It was halfway into January of 2021 before I formed my quilting goals for last year and history is repeating itself. Still sheltering in place, this time due to the omicron variant of  COVID-19, I will be limited and cautious in browsing quilt shows or fabric stores in 2022. But both parts of last year's goal were pretty successful and very workable even with the restrictions. With focused modifications regarding specific fabrics and tools, I will keep carrying on in the same spirit. I also want to focus on finding enjoyment in my craft while accomplishing my goals.

I will continue to be a closet quilter! 
 a) I will make items from fabric and kits in my closet and tools in my drawers.
b) While closeted away I will continue to interface remotely with the community. 

a) I will audit the kits I have been stockpiling and prioritize those I want to complete, put back in storage, repurpose, or give away. I will commit to completing only one kit in particular, Midnight Crossings, which finishes at 69" x 69". I will allow myself to cave and buy only one other kit in 2022.


a) I have yet to use my Handiquilter Arc Templates and will find a project to use and become proficient with them.


a) I will develop a method to manage my scraps, a promise I have made to myself several years running. I will go beyond merely reading all the different suggestions for organizing in the media – by color, by shape, by trimming to consistent sizes. Then I will choose a method that, for me, is easy and not onerous to implement.  Even if I gather 90% of all my scraps in one place in a designated bin (or bins) I will consider this a victory to start and worry about how to sort, group and utilize them later.

b) I have been faithful in my blogging but have falling behind in creating my blog books. I am determined to catch up in 2022. My latest Blog book was Vol. 14 of DianeLoves2Quilt and covered 32 posts, Jan 24 through June 29, 2020. Since then I have published 30 additional posts in 2020 and 43 posts in 2021. It appears that at least two blog books are overdue.


b) I will continue to hang out my quilts on the third Saturday of each month and attend my monthly guild meetings, virtually.

In 2020 my goals were simpler and having fun was one of them. I want to be sure that I do not forget to enjoy myself in 2022, even during tense times of the pandemic. I do find satisfaction in organizing and so getting my scraps and kits in order will be a pleasurable rather than onerous activity. Any additional quilt I complete beyond the one committed kit will be a happy feather in my cap. I noticed in 2021 I knitted only one item. Knitting relaxes me and can be performed outside the walls of my sewing room. I would like to do more of it in 2022. I certainly have enough yarn on my shelves to do that. I can be a closet knitter as well as a closet quilter. To summarize my items for specific accountable:
  • Complete Midnight Crossing kit
  • Audit kits
  • Practice Handiquilter arc tool
  • Consolidate scraps
  • Publish blog books
  • Display quilts monthly
  • Knit something

1 comment:

  1. Looks like quite a reasonable set of goals! I keep trying to convince myself to pick up needlework so I'll have a more "sociable" sewing activity to do, but knitting is a good alternative too! That Midnight Crossings quilt looks cute (and with its halloween theme it would always have a home at our place), and using up your stash is always a good idea! that's one of my goals for this year as well!

    ReplyDelete