Monday, September 4, 2023

Tipus and Treetops - Completion

This is my completed quilt from Lotta Jansdotter feature modern fabric in a teal and gray colorway and a 5 x 5 block array. I've titled it Tipus and Treetops. Tipus and Treetops'  predecessor and inspiration, made for the same Lotta Jansdotter fabric line and titled uncreatively Orange and Grey, had been  presented in my post published 8/10/2016 and is shown after its teal and gray cousin.

 

My Tipus and Treetops post for 6/30/2023 displayed fabric choices and construction. The main focal fabric choices from Lotta Jansdotter were a teal mesh and white background fabrics with tipus (little chicks), treetops, and balls and leaves. My post for 7/4/2023 showed the block arrangement, pieced backing, and striped binding. To FMQ, I chose a light gray rather that a white thread which really pops on the dark grays, does show up a bit on the whites, but still is fairly hidden on the really busy mesh and critter fabrics. These next photos show the different FMQ patterns I chose in order of inner rectangles and outer borders. The patterns include: 1) echo quilting + clamshells, 2) curved grid +  parallel piano keyboard stripes, 3) wavy lines + echo quilting, 4) diamond grid +  diagonals to match tipu angle, 5) dot-to-dot four-leaf clusters + straight lines, and 6) echo quilting + dot-to-dot four-leaf clusters. I am most pleased with the curved grid because I have been wanting to do this for quite some time and I finally figured out how to do it.

1. echo quilting + clamshells
2. curved grid +  parallel piano keyboard stripes
3. wavy lines + echo quilting 
4. diamond grid +  diagonals to match tipu angle
5. dot-to-dot four leaf clusters+ straight lines
 6. echo quilting + dot-to-dot four leaf clusters

I finished off with my standard labels of grosgrain ribbon with lettering from my Pfaff domestic. 


Tipus and Treetops measures 48" x 48". Here are the front and back of Tipus and Treetops and my attempt to display it an aesthetically pleasing way. My FMQ is improving (as long as it is planned and not too freeform) but I need to work on the artistic part for my draped displays. 



1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a lot of variety in your FMQ patterns! The end result is gorgeous, and now I wish I'd looked more closely at this quilt when I was out earlier this month. I'm impressed at how well your quilting stands out in the photos, and I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite, but numbers 3 and 5 rank high on the list. I love the consistent curves you can get with the rulers, and I love the texture that results when you just "echo the outline" of the trees. The backing is, again, amazing. And I think your ribbon really pops in the lower corners. Plus I'd never heard or read the word "tipu" before... you really do learn something new every day!!!!

    ReplyDelete