You know how an athlete stretches to warm up his muscles before an event? I stretch before launching into my quilting by making burp cloths. I know at least three moms-to-be who are due within the next four or so months. And new babies really do need burp cloths. So here is the fruit of my labors. Their labors are yet to be.
Yesterday I pumped out six burp cloths made from two fat quarters each. The back of each is wrapped around to be the bordering edge fabric on the front. In the front center section the flannel has been folded over double to increase absorbency. I could have made each pair the same instead of making each pair a complement of the other but I like for them to be different. They go together yet you can remember which one has been used recently if a glance does not distinguish it.
This barnyard set has my signature polka dots. I did both orange and green because I could not decide which I liked better.
Houses are not typically a baby theme, but I loved the colors.
I made three more burp cloths from three fat quarters and three 1/4 yard lengths. I realized the 1/4 yard lengths could be folded along the grain rather than cross grain and still be used for the double thickness center section. I just love when the fabrics that I have in my stash, although purchased at different places and at widely varying times, just come together in an unexpected way. Those middle sections came from 9" full width fabric strips that were part of on-sale cuddle quilt kit. The backs and outer edges were flannel fat quarters I had in my stash.
To provide proof of my excuse for my long absence from quilting I offer this "before" picture of our living room. The "after" picture is still to come.
Completed projects since 10/3/13 WIP post:
- New hardwood floor, rug, furniture, ceiling fixtures and painting in living room
- Trip to Boston and Oklahoma City
- Bloomers to match two baby dresses (see dresses in September 10, 2013 post)
- Nine burp cloths
- Classic Cars strip quilt (August 3, 2013 post)- need to back, quilt, and bind
- Grinch quilt (May 22,2013 post) - all borders added, need to back, quilt, and bind
- Jack O'Lantern Trio (February 2, 2013 post) - awaiting FMQ
- Chicken quilt - awaiting FMQ
- Overlapping square wall hanging - awaiting FMQ
- Mask quilt (October 19, 2011 post) - hidden away awaiting inspiration for arranging hexagons
New projects since 10/3/13 WIP post:
- Making preparations for bathroom remodel
- Nine burp cloths
Stats since last WIP:
Completed projects - 11
Currently in progress - assembly completed on 5 of 6; finishing is my bottleneck
New projects - 11 involving sewing