Before cutting the strips for the binding, I debated the width and whether I should fussy cut it along the rows of dots. Based on the pattern repeat I could have had skinny binding cut to 2" strips (finished binding would be less than 3/8"), or wider binding cut to 3" strips (1/2" finished seemed too much), or 3" strips trimmed down to 2.25" my preferred width for 3/8" binding (a lot of waste). I made an intentional decision not to fussy cut and not to stick with a width that was a multiple of the fabric repeat. The fabric was not printed 100% in alignment with the grain so fussy cutting would have been challenging. If I did not join strips in the correct orientation, one section would have stood out as different. Since I was working with fat quarters, my binding section were only about 20" long, not a full fabric width. Having each section be a bit different would look random and not look like there was one error in a planned scheme. The chevron print drifted a bit so I decided to go with a "let the dots fall where they may" philosophy. I prepared and attached the binding last night and hand stitched it this morning. The dots do fluctuate around the outside but I kind of like it that way.
I outlined the animals and the text and had fun adding some swirls in the ship's sail and in the bow of the boat
I straight machine stitched along the edges of the dark blue, printed green, and light blue borders of the fabric panel. I free motion quilted along wavy lines in the stripe-y dotted border and around the shooting stars and their trails.
The backing fabric is waves and the wavy border stitching shows up better there. All of the stitching is in a pale blue. I did not go crazy changing colors like I did on past quilts.
I will initial and date it later today. Its finished size is 34.5" x42". It was sized to fit the available backing material. Basically this week I finished one project but did not start any others. My ongoing projects do seem to be pretty stagnant. I guess they just do not inspire me right now. But I did actually make an appointment to rent time on a longarm machine June 27th to finish off the Grinch quilt (May 22, 2013 post) so that is a bit of progress. And my daughter who also quilts (see Robin Loves Quilting) is coming to visit so I will get her input on assembling the hexagons of the Mask quilt (October 19, 2011 post). Stay tuned.
- Owl and Pussycat quilt (started May 28, 21014 post)
- Chicken quilt - spray basted, awaiting embellishment (April 24, 2014 post)
- Classic Cars strip quilt (August 3, 2013 post) - need to back, quilt, and bind
- Grinch quilt (May 22, 2013 post) - all borders added, need to back, quilt, and bind.
- Overlapping square wall hanging - awaiting FMQ
- Mask quilt (October 19, 2011 post) - hidden away awaiting inspiration for arranging hexagons