I also thought out what my path would be to go in and among the pumpkins. I copied a photo of the assembled top into Power Point file and played with different routes. It turns out that going midway up or down between the pumpkins worked out to be pretty efficient.
I used a light coral thread on the orange/burgundy borders and the thread lines are double stitched. I went up and back along the same line before moving the ruler. I learned in a class that retracing is the preferred way to do a piano key border. Rather than a motion that is "up, move the ruler, down, move the ruler", I'd go "up and down, and then move the ruler". These are the tools I used – the straight edge of this 8" scallop ruler and the center pink ½" size echo foot
The parallel lines in the border and pumpkins came out looking more tidy than if I had free-handed them. Plus, I got a lot of ruler practice. I liked the effect of this diagonally pieced border from fat quarters. The concept may have been a success because the two colors were a close blend and not sharply contrasting. I think I may use the concept and contents drawn from my stash like this again.
A view from the back shows up the quilting lines since I used relatively light colored thread and the backing was dark. I like the barn print and thought it was worth piecing to use it.
Let's Bee Social #201.