Saturday, February 23, 2019

February Block of the Month for My Guild

My quilt guild, Amador Valley Quilters, holds a monthly activity titled Block of the Month. A BOM packet consists of a one-page set of directions and the fabric to make a block. Generally the fabric needs to be sub-cut but that part is minimal. Members can buy one or more packets. After making the block, the member turns each in the next month and names of the participants are drawn to see who wins all the blocks. I do not always participate, but when I do I like to buy several so I can see how  the blocks go together. This month I bought four packets because it looked like the blocks when assembled would form a secondary pattern. Once home I discovered each zip lock bag contained enough fabric to make two blocks. There was a light and a dark option and I bought two packets of each. I never did take any in-process photos because I was on a roll, but here is what the completed blocks look like. They measure 9½" and, when assembled in a quilt each, will be 9" square. I arranged my eight blocks in one configuration that I found pleasing and will finish at 36" wide.


They were fun and easy to stitch together, assembly line style. The HST squares were made from 4" squares and then trimmed afterward to 3½". I got lots of practice with my Precision Trimmer 6™ - a great ruler to add to your collection if you do not have one. It was copyright in 2001 by Marsha McCloskey. I used it to square up my HSTs once I had pressed them open; it helped assure that the diagonal seam is spot on at the corners.


In googling for an image of this ruler I came across this photo. Apparently if I had squared up the block before pressing it open I would have reduced my number of slices from four to two.  I will have to try this alternate method next time. Although, by making fewer cuts because of trimming before pressing the HST open, any inaccuracies at the diagonal seam after pressing HST open will not be accounted for. Hmm... food for thought. See, even the simplest BOM can teach something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment