Sunday, October 18, 2020

Third Saturday of October 2020

For "Hang Your Quilt Day" this month, the theme was Halloween. I chose to display four smaller quilts yesterday. I have made no large quilts for this one-day holiday.


The pumpkin wall hanging on the left measures 31" x 39". My 10/31/2017 post describes its completion and quilting. My post for 1/25/2012 tells of the finishing and binding of the Jack O' Lantern wall hanging on the right. Made from Jason Yenter's In the Beginning Fabrics, the quilt measures 39" square .


The Jack O' Lantern quilt on the left was a scaled down version of a quilt pattern that originally included a witch, black cats, and bats. I learned a lot about color contrast when those black figures did not show up against the deep blue midnight sky. My post for 2/2/13 has more details. Change of plans; I left out all  those dark spooky critters and rearranged the locations of the bright orange pumpkins. The quilt now measures 21" wide by 30" tall. More information about my haunted houses on the left is in my post for 10/20/17. It measures 27½" wide by 16" tall.


Beginning April 2020, my quilt guild members began a tradition of hanging quilts in the front of their homes on the third Saturday of the month as a source of enjoyment for the community and as a thank you for the essential workers during the pandemic. My initial post about this practice is dated 4/22/20.

No comments:

Post a Comment