Monday, April 10, 2023

Unanticipated Project Completion

In the spring of 2020, twenty-four ladies from the Amador Valley Quilters guild formed a small group called Pieces of Blue. Each quilters contributed six fat quarters each in a different shade of blue. These fat quarters were intermingled and then each quilter randomly drew six blues, different from her own original six, and added a background fabric of her own. A pattern was introduced each month and the quilters gathered in small groups to complete it. The patterns were Jacob's Ladder (Feb), Snail's Trail (Mar), Bear's Paw (Apr), Capital T (May), and Flying Geese (Jun). 


I had made seven of these blocks when COVID-19 made an appearance and a lockdown ensued. The get-togethers were discontinued and I packed away the blocks and fabrics in a 12" x 12" storage bin. I typically store the components – pattern, fabric, specialty rulers, magazines, etc. – for my ongoing-projects or dream projects-to-be in these 12"x12" plastic bins designed mainly for scrapbookers. I own fifteen of these bins, as many that will store five across and three high on one of my shelves. The following photo shows nine bins. I have a self imposed limit of fifteen on this number of bins. If I need another for a new project, I constrain myself to 1) finishing a project in one of the bins or 2) giving up on a dream project and disseminating  the components to free a bin. Hence I decided to finish up the Pieces of Blue exercise. I needed an empty bin.


I joined six of the blocks to form a center area of a quilt and disassembled the Flying Geese block to use on corners. From the remaining fabrics I formed four-patch or nine-patch blocks depending on the remnant sizes of the blues, pairing the colors for contrast. From some cut off corners I formed HSTs that I made into a couple of pinwheel blocks. This is not exactly innovative quilting but I really did not have a plan; so, for me, this activity was innovative and a bit freeing. Here is the result showing the overall assembly.


Next are two closeups of 1) two central blocks Capital T and Bear's Paw and 2) the edging of four and nine patches with the corner-rounding Flying Geese. I had already sandwiched and quilting these before thinking to take the assembly photos. I gained a lot of practice on my go-to four petal quilting motif. It was also a reasonable use of my variegated thread. I sometimes find it hard to find an appropriate use for variegated thread.



I made sure the quilt top was narrower than a WOF so there would no backing seams would be needed. I chose a fabric from my stash with skiffs floating since the shades of blue throughout the water complimented the front while the red of the skiffs added a bit of interest. I used the same fabric for the binding and used red thread to embroider the turquoise labels for the bottom corners with my name and date. For the year I put 2020, 2023.



 
Here is the completed quilt, front and back being held by my helpful and willing husband. Pieces of Blue measures 38" x 49". The bright sunny day was great for lighting, but a bit of wind made capturing the perfect straight-on photo slightly challenging.



Here is what I have left of the scraps. I succeeded in emptying a bin for my next project. Yay. This "distraction" took several days, actually almost two non-continuous weeks, to complete. But I had fun. Drats –  this completion was not even on my list of goals for 2023! And my next project is... Oh, wait. I've forgotten. But I now have an empty bin awaiting it when I remember/decide.

1 comment:

  1. Who cares about planned completions! A completion is a completion, and being able to follow your artistic whims helps you keep the creative juices flowing sometimes! This is a great make - I love the way the colors all came together, sometimes blues are stubborn about that. It's great to have a craft bin open and waiting for your next project, and that is a really efficient use of fabric if that is all the scraps you had left!

    ReplyDelete