Sunday, March 26, 2023

Sacramento Show

Thursday, March 23 my quilting friend Kathie and I went to the Sacramento Quilt, Crafting, & Sewing Festival. Sacramento is about 90 miles north of Livermore. With a few congested traffic areas, it took us about two hours to get there.



My husband asked me if I was going with an intended purchase in mind and I said no, I did not need anything. The trip was for fun and inspiration. But with the investment in travel time, gas money, and admission, I would be remiss if I did not buy anything. I wound up purchasing a back pack, a deck of cards, a pattern, and eight yards of fabric.

BACK PACK: Kathie and I arrived ~ 11:15, a bit early for lunch but we reasoned if we waited, there could be long lines at the concession stands. On our way to the food court I bought my first item at the vendor Sew 2 Cute. The first item I caved on was a backpack –  truly so cute, I could not resist it. Here are photos of the front, back, and interior. I especially like the squared off opening that I think will allow for easier access.




Following is the layout and vendors on the show floor. The ones highlighted in yellow are vendors from whom I made purchases. After the layout are listed the other items I bought after we ate lunch and where I got them.


PATTERN: This checkerboard pattern Over & Down Under really caught my eye based on the patriotic sample. Since I bought the pattern at the vendor Blue Heart, I was granted permission to photograph the display.



CARDS: I own a featherweight so I bought a deck of cards with nuggets of historical information about featherweights on each of the cards. I have shown a sample of a few cards. I bought The Featherweight Deck at the Patticakes booth.


FABRICS: On a second tour around the show I bought some novelty beach panel fabric and two coordinating prints to go with it, also at Patticakes. The colors appealed and our master bedroom has a beach theme so maybe pillows? The panel is one yard tall and I have a yard each of the coordinating prints. Because of the directionality, pillowcases are not an option. They each would need 1¼ yard.



I am planning a T-shirt quilt for my grown daughter from her younger days when she was very much into horses. Since a lot of the shirts have a equine theme, I thought this horse print might work out well as sashing between the shirts. I have one yard of each colorway from the Workman booth.

 
Also at the Workman vendor I fell in love with this richly-color, saturated print of critters. Since my youngest son loves bunnies, and the print also has an Easter vibe to it, I gave in to the call of the "gently wild". The bunny is about 3" tall and a curled up fox fits within a 3" diameter circle.


At the Elk Grove booth I came across gold polka dots on two shades of aqua Grunge. They too may work out in my daughter's T-shirt quilt, if not as sashing then perhaps as backing. I bought one yard of each. The shiny gold spots may give the quilt a bit of pizazz. 


These spots also reminded me of one of my kids' favorite books Put Me in the Zoo by Robert Lopshire. Thinking about my daughter's childhood T-shirts probably put me in a kid-years' nostalgic mood. To quote the main character from the well-loved book about his spots...
And I can put them way up high.
Up, up they go! I make them fly!
I put them high up in the air.
My spots fly here. My spots fly there.

The show was fun, the company was fun. The show was not quite as large as other years, but it is comforting to see activities making a comeback after COVID-19.

3 comments:

  1. Your blog makes me eager to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That backpack is truly stunning! And I love the way the patriotic theme changed the whole look & feel of the pattern you bought. I never would have envisioned it without that photo! I'll admit the bunny/bird/fox print *doesn't* scream "Easter" to me (it looks very teal/on my screen), and that's one of the reasons I like it. It sounds like it's a prett large scale print, too; those are fun for bigger projects.

    And, I loved that "Put Me in the Zoo" book, which my kids have also read, loved, and outgrown. It's just so silly but fun!

    ReplyDelete