Monday, October 7, 2024

Nativity Christmas Ornaments

At my quilt guild's fabric sale in July 2021 I bought two of these nativity scene panels at 50¢ each along with six other Christmas ornament panels: namely three house panels, two panels of calico toys, and one panel of gilded gold ornaments. I was determined that this year I would have them all sewn up before the holidays and no longer lingering in my stash. My latest progress forward is on the first of the nativity panels. I cut out the eight figures and bought grosgrain ribbon for hanging loops on top. I can get eight 4½" loops from one yard of ribbon.


This is the stuffing I use for these ornaments. Actually I use it for all of my stuffing needs, such as pillows and toys. It is polyester and has a soft silky feel to it. It is not at all itchy or scratchy as some fills can be.


This week, after sewing, turning, and stuffing the eight ornaments, I whipstitched each closed with matching color thread: royal blue for Mary and one king, brown for Joseph and the shepherd, white for the sheep and the ermine trimmed cloak of another king, turquoise for the gown of the angel, and gold for the hem of a third king. I chose purple ribbon for the hanging loops. These ornaments are quite large and I stuff them minimally so the figures remain soft and cuddly should they be used for play.




My goal to sew up all my backlog of panels before Christmas has been thwarted by my having lost the remaining panels yet to be finished somewhere in my sewing room. I have misplaced two panels of twelve calico ornaments each and one remaining nativity panel. Other panels I have completed. I plan to use turquoise loops for a second nativity set ... when I find it!

1 comment:

  1. Those are so sweet. At Christmas I decorate with nativity scenes. I've already bought a new one for this year. I couldn't help myself when I saw it at Walmart. Yes they already have their Christmas decorations out and it's just the first of October.

    ReplyDelete