Wednesday, July 10, 2013

WIP: Sunny Spring Frost in the Home Stretch

The weather here has been HOT! What better time than now to finish off my quilt I titled Sunny Spring Frost. At the same time I got Color Play of the Day back from my long arm quilter, I also got this quilt back that was made from the Linda Ballard pattern, Earth, Wind, and Fire. I last referenced it in my March 20, 2013 post and was shocked when I looked back at how long it had been since I'd worked on it. Blogging gives you an awareness that way. I have not made up my mind if that awareness is good or bad... accountability vs. guilt, so to speak. For this quilt, instead of an overall pattern, I chose a block format quilting pattern consisting of four butterflies and four daisies. My quilter called and said the centers looked kind of empty so we added a couple of peanut-shaped forms in the center. After having fussy-cut those roses for the center of each star, I did not want multiple intersecting quilt lines to cover them up.


You can see the quilting pattern a bit better on the back. I used Power Point to highlight in blue where the quilting stitches are on half the block. You can see, by how crooked my free-hand highlights are, why I send my quilts out to be quilted.

After being rolled/folded up for four months I guess I can expect some wrinkles but I was surprised how poorly the back photographed.  Maybe part of it is my lighting. Maybe it is because my backing is more of a solid and I am used to using a printed busier backing. Whatever the reason, it is a bit ugly and disappointing. After all my angst about my backing choice (see my February 2, 2013 post where I like this fabric) my pendulum has swung back the other way to not liking it.

I have made the binding out of this fabric and am reconsidering making a different binding. On the other hand I want to be DONE with this quilt so I will most likely just forge ahead.  I am stressing too much about 3/8" around the edge of a 72" x 72" quilt. Four of the sixteen blocks are shown below.

The backing really does look like I threw the lighter colored fabrics from the blocks in a blender and pushed the pulse button a couple of times. And really, after all, it is the back for goodness sake!

My goal is to attach and complete the hand-stitching on the binding in the next week. It is time to say, "Enough is enough," and finish the @#$%^&* thing!

Completed projects since 5/22/13 WIP post:
  1. Karate Kid Kwilt (June 18, 2013 post)
  2. Winning Moore Love Tornado Quilt (June 29, 2013 post)
Ongoing projects:  
  1. Grinch quilt (May 22,2013 post) - all borders added, need to back, quilt, and bind
  2. Color Play of the Day (July 4, 2013 post) - bound, needs label and blog post
  3. Sunny Spring Frost - awaiting binding
  4. Jack O'Lantern Trio (see 2013/02) - awaiting FMQ
  5. Chicken quilt - awaiting FMQ
  6. Overlapping square wall hanging - awaiting FMQ
  7. Mask quilt (see 2011/10) - hidden away awaiting inspiration for arranging hexagons
New projects since 5/22/13 WIP post:  
  1. Karate Kid Kwilt (June 18, 2013 post)
Stats since last WIP:
     Completed  projects - 1
     New projects - 1
     Currently in progress - 7

I am off to check other folk's progress this week at:

1 comment: