Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Post July 4th Sewing

We had visitors this Fourth of July weekend – my 15-month-old granddaughter with her mom and dad – so I did not get much sewing done. I adjusted a couple garments and mended a pillow for my daughter-in-law but the pack-and-play was in the sewing room. I am not complaining in the least. Granddaughters definitely get first priority!


Monday, after I cleared out my sewing room, I spray basted two quilts and planned my FMQing on Bugs 'R Us (May 31, 2015 post). Here is my practice doodling image for the gridded checkerboards.


I'd like to have it quilted to take with me when my highly anticipated grandson is born in Oklahoma this month and that is remotely possible if I can be decisive and do not dawdle. Here is the progress I made yesterday on the checkerboard blocks.


I used a pale yellow thread. It shows up well on the orange and blue and darker green. I am getting braver with thread contrast as my FMQ improves. Here is a closeup of the last grids I quilted. I also followed on later by quilting the same orange-peel pattern in the bright green narrow border strips.


My initial plan for the bug blocks was to echo the antennae area and make parallel arcs on the bellies to look like ridges. Actually if I remember my high school biology from a very long time ago, insects have three body parts – the head, the thorax that contains the wings and legs, and the abdomen.  More anatomically correct, I wanted a ridged thorax, not a ridged belly.


Belly or thorax does not matter – I got neither. When I attempted to stitch the arcs, the lines came out wobbly and awful. I had to pick them out. What was I expecting? I could not draw them well to begin with. I need a new plan that I can execute successfully. Hopefully I will come up with one and complete it before I need to leave for Oklahoma. I do not think I will have enough time to bind the quilt before I leave but I can take the prepped binding with me and do that there if timing permits with arrival of said new grandson. My daughter is a quilter, too, so I can use her sewing machine to attach the binding. Wish me luck. If I quilt instead of blog I have a finite chance of completing the FMQ. If not, there is always the United States Postal Service after I return home.

I am linking up with this week's WIP at Freshly Pieced.

8 comments:

  1. That is just absolutely darling! I love the quilting plan too - it reminds me that I need to get a good curvy ruler because I wouldn't be able to execute those curves without it! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes rulers do help smooth things out. Be sure when you get some to add some sand paper like gripper stickies on the underside. You do not need much but they sure make a difference.This is what I use:

      https://www.handiquilter.com/shop/product/handi-grip/

      Delete
  2. What a cute quilt. I admire your creativity in planning the FMQ - and even more in being able to do it. It's still on my sewing bucket list, but it's a long way down the list.

    4th of July with your granddaughter - and her parents - sounds wonderful. Hope you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tami. People say the FMQ needs practice and they are so right. But in the very beginning it needs courage to get started. My skill is not quite there yet but I am getting less afraid so that is progress. I want to take a lead from you and do some small projects... placemats, totes, so I can get that FMQ practice in. We did have fun on the 4th. My 15 month old granddaughter was enthralled with the fireworks - and her dad thought she'd be scared. She surprised everyone!. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for fixing my dresses and pillow! And, thanks in advance, for the bar stool covers! I'm very lucky to have such a talented MIL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome and thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
    2. Umm...I need your sewing help again on one of the same dresses that you fixed for me over the 4th of July! I took a nap in it last weekend and ripped the seam on one side:-(

      Delete
  4. When you said the pack n' play was in your sewing room my first thought was "go grandma - way to parallel process the sewing and the baby watching!" (I mean, that's how I usually have to do it). But yay for a lovely visit! I am jealous you get to see Viv so often, and hopeful that we will be able to make it down there for Christmas so I can see her as well.

    ReplyDelete