Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Guys' Aprons

After making the apron for my granddaughter, described in post for May 12, 2018, I wanted to make one for her little brother. I also wanted to make a matching one for his dad, a former fireman and now a fire safety inspector. I used the Abbey Lane apron pattern titled Sloppy Joes.


I used the fire engine fabric I'd bought at my guild's silent auction, post for yesterday May 14, 2018. This large scale print was in ⅓ yard and ½ yard lengths that were not the full WOF and, all along one side, the fabric had a misprinted white band. But I was determined to fussy cut as many of those engines as I could.


I finagled until I got pockets that pleased me. I managed to get a full engine on the my son-in-law's decorative chest pocket. My grandson's pocket was too small and only parts of an engine would fit. Instead I managed to get him the head of a dalmatian.


These are the scraps I had left after fussy cutting.


I even used that flawed white streak section as the inner pockets inserted between the apron top and apron bottom seam. Notice I had to seam the bottom of the Dad's apron but I used a flat-fell seam so it would be smooth on the inside.



My husband Frank is modeling the finished apron for my son-in-law, my grandson, and – what the heck – for my granddaughter.


A close up of the man's apron shows off the big old fashioned fire engine on the chest. There is a full fireman and a full dalmatian on the bottom even if I did have to run a flat-fell seam through the front of the fire engine it to get them.


Here is a closeup of the boy's apron. I was proud of myself that a got such a big hook and ladder truck and a fireman on the bottom section and I did not have to seam to get them!


I know, I know. Men love to play with fire. Well, maybe when his dad is outside grilling, my grandson will be dressed appropriately to follow in his footsteps.

Linking up to Let's Bee Social #227.

1 comment:

  1. What cute aprons - we are so excited to put them all to use! Miles away I was ALSO fussy-cutting for my life that weekend (although my post will is still forthcoming) but I think you did a great job with picking out the right elements. Dad looks pretty sharp in those aprons, and way to put those scraps to use!

    ReplyDelete