Friday, January 18, 2019

Burp Cloths Again

My daughter's sister-in-law is due to have a baby boy mid-February and I customarily make flannel burp cloths as gifts for infants. Most moms like the extra absorbency of the triple flannel and I love putting together the fabric combinations. It's a win-win. When my daughter visited at Thanksgiving, I had her down-select some flannel pairings from those that I had drawn from my stash. I hoped to get her insight on the taste of the mom-to-be. Per her opinion, I arranged them from left to right, most favored to least, and took a photo so I would remember when I got around to sewing them in a few weeks. The  cartoon-like print one far right was judged not to be consistent with the sister-in-law's more conservative taste, but my daughter said, "It is so darn cute, Mom, you cannot leave it out."


Here are ten completed burp cloths, sewn in complementary pairings. Made from two fat quarters each, they finish up at 20" long by 12" wide. They are shown folded in thirds in the photos. My tutorial for them is in my post for 6/18/2014.








The baby boy is to be named Wyatt. I was tempted – but I did refrain  – from titling this post Wyatt Burp.


Even before the previous ten were finished, I set about to replenishing my flannel stash.  Here are six more half-yards that I will eventually make up into six burp cloths, three complementary pairs. The starred gold picks up the pom-poms on the snowmen hats, the soft pink dot echoes the piggies playing in the mud puddles, and the butter-yellow dots calls attention to those little chicks that are tucked away amongst the farm animals. Do I store these fabrics in my flannel drawer or make them up now for some future baby-to-be?

2 comments:

  1. So Cute! I had already forgotten the farbrics you showed, but they are good ones. I especially love that plaid on the blue birds, and I know SIL will love the look fo the kangaroos. We'll see how those farm animals go over. Your "replacement" animal print is pretty adorable as well - can't wait to see that made up for some future kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember using cloth diapers as birth cloths. These are so much cuter and I'm sure absorb more than the cloth diapers did. Oh well, they served the purpose at the time and gosh knows I washed enough of them every day.

    ReplyDelete