Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Yarn Store Purchases

A yarn store this week relocated from the neighboring town of Pleasanton to my home town of Livermore, just steps away from the Post Office and right next to my hair salon. It is called Knit This Purl That and the following photo shows the storefront with its proud owner. 


One of my small project goals for 2019 (post for 1/15/2019) was to "Have a knitting project going", so of course I needed to visit there today and make a few purchases. I wisely spread out my purchases into the areas of tools, books, and yarn. In the category of tools I bought these yarn cozies. They are reputed to work well with pull skeins whether the yarn is drawn out from the inside or outside. I look forward to them being effective. I had an awful time with my 14 oz jumbo skeins from Michael's tangling or pulling out chunks of the wound interior when I made my round adult blanket (post for 1/9/2019). Granted these cozies are not intended to work on such a large skein of yarn, but maybe they will, when the hank gets smaller. In the future I am going to try to avoid buying those jumbo size skeins.


This book was so precious I could not pass it up. I also can highly praise the store that the price was just pennies different from Amazon, enabling my desire to buy locally to be rewarding without being costly.  By the way, Amazon does not have a "Look inside" option for this book so support your local store to see its contents. I will say the lion, frog, panda, chicken, and fox are all adorable. Which will I do first? Hard decision since each is more precious than the other. I will let the colors in my current yarn stash guide my choice.


Lastly I bought some yarn that called to me. It is self striping and I liked the tweed effect within the strands. It is recommended for 4 mm knitting needles, American size 6.


Made in Germany it is a machine washable blend, 75% Virgin wool and 25% Nylon. The 150 gram ball converts to a bit over 5 ounces.


I want to make a Baby Surprise Jacket out of it. I made one once before and it was straight forward garter stitch with minimal seaming and was a lot of fun. It is in my post from 12/8/2014 but here is a photo of how the striping fell with this pastel variegated yarn. 


I can't wait to see how the more boldly colored yarn I just bought will make up. Now if I can just remember where I "filed" the Baby Surprise Jacket pattern... I must sheepishly admit I have bought it twice already. But the second time, I also scanned it so at least I may be able to locate the electronic version on my computer. Aha! That method just worked. All I have to do now is print it out. Dang! My colored ink cartridges need replenishing...

3 comments:

  1. Wow - what great luck to have a beloved yarn shop move closer to home! It looks like you got some really good things - I look forward to what you make with those animal hat books. That German yarn is pretty amazing, too! I think it'll make an adorable Baby surprise jacket, and I'm laughing at your scanned pattern. That is a good call, I recently went through and took photos of all my favorite recipes and uploaded them to dropbox just so if the original gets destroyed I'll have a digital backup! That's also a reason I've moved to PDF patterns - with Dropbox, it's easy to keep track of things that are digital!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and cue irony here, even though I insist on PDF patterns, I still print out "master" paper patterns, which I trace on tissue paper. That makes it *less* critical for me to keep my ink cartidges full... but of course, I'm back to having to store the paper pattern!

      Delete
  2. I love that you support your local shops. What a brave young woman to open her own business. She deserves support. I hope she holds lots of classes and you can take advantage of them.
    Do you belong to Ravelry? There are lots of patterns on there and so many ideas it makes your head spin. I like to look at what people have done with different patterns and the variety of colors, etc. that are out there. I also enjoy reading folks' comments on how the kntting went. You are amazing and so organized with all of your crafting. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete