Friday, March 29, 2019

Cinnamon's - Jacksonville FL

On March 24th, the Country Heritage Tour to Historic Charleston and Savannah took us to a third quilt shop. It was our final point of interest, squeezed in on a Sunday morning, on the way to Jacksonville Airport to fly back home.


The delightful Cinnamon's Quilt Shoppe, is located in Jacksonville about 30 miles south of the Georgia/Florida state line and roughly 10 miles south of the JAX airport. It was the southernmost of the three shops we visited. For the other two see my previous posts for 3/27/19 and for 3/28/19.


My husband came along for the visit to this shop. At the second shop he had gone to a train museum instead. At Cinnamon's he first circled the shop and took some cell phone photos of fabric he liked. He did not tell me where they were but rather challenged me to find them.


This next train fabric I may already have in my stash at home. It is still bemusing to see his ferroequinologist tendencies live on. My husband does take an interest in my hobby. Last July he was willing to participate in a men's discussion on quilting sponsored at one of my guild meetings. One of the quilts he showed during his presentation was a train one I'd made for him, copying the colors of Refrigerator Railway Cars. He brought the reference book to prove the color authenticity. The quilts and his discussion are in my post for 7/24/18.


I really should get busy sewing up that stack of train fabrics I already own. I have enough for several shirts or quilts, three yards or more of each print.


At Cinnamon's Quilt Shoppe Frank made himself at home in one of the classrooms where an additional cutting station had been set up. As each lady came in, he polled her about which was her favorite quilt hanging on the walls and challenged her to find a "mistake" in one of the class demo quilts! He was having fun. Eating cookies while waiting for me also enhanced his morning.

Meanwhile, back to my shopping. I found these two banners very striking, both in the color selection and crispness of the design. They are titled One If By Land and Two If By Sea. Granted we were on a historic tour of the south and this phrase is more associated with the north, but I think this Country Heritage Tour put me in the history mood. Per the Paul Revere Heritage Project
“One, if by land, and two, if by sea” phrase was coined by the American poet, Henry W. Longfellow in his poem, Paul Revere’s Ride. It was a reference to the secret signal orchestrated by Revere during his historic ride from Boston to Concord on the verge of American Revolutionary War. The signal was meant to alert patriots about the route the British troops chose to advance to Concord. Few days before the historic ride, Revere was preparing his mission and arranged with three fellow patriots to set up a light signal in case if British troops started their advance to Concord. To give even more information, it was agreed that one lantern meant that the troops chose the longer land route and two lanterns meant the shorter route by water, leaving less time for patriots to react.


This frivolous pattern caught my attention. Although I am not a fan of appliqué I thought I could handle these 4" diameter circles made from the variety of fabrics in 5" charm packs.


I own an OLFA Rotary Circle Cutter which actually works quite well once you get the knack of it. I would use this to cut out the circles.


Continuing my historic and circle bent, I bought two charm packs of 5" squares in red, white, and blue. The prints are all have blender capabilities and since the prints are small scale, I think they will be versatile enough that I will be able to put these pre-cuts to good use.


Like many quilters I buy a fair amount of precuts. This book is dedicated to quilts made from layer cakes, jelly rolls, and fat quarters. Hmm... there are no 5" square pattern in this book. But 5" squares are just layers of layer cakes cut in quarters. I liked many of the patterns in the book One Bundle of Fun.



Yes, I did locate and buy each of the beach themed fabrics my husband Frank liked, 2½ yards of each – enough to make two king size pillowcases of each print if I do not incorporated one or both into a quilt.



I bought 1 yard of this stripe. The mottled subtle appearance appealed to me and I can always use a stripe in one binding or another.


These fat quarters were an impulse buy based purely on extreme cheeriness in color with the bright yellow and lime green. Besides I am in Florida now so how could I pass up a series titled Everglades? The eyes peeping out of above the water ripples on the lower left are too-too precious and convinced me I needed this fabric bundle. In fact, I needed it so much, I bought two bundles. I have two grandsons. Perhaps I could coax these prints into a patchwork shirt or shorts or a pocket or two.


The randomness and colors of these stylized blobs spoke fun times to me. They look like mildly imperfect gumdrops to me which meant they were in need of a good home. I bought 1½ yards.


My son-in-law used to be a fire fighter and now works as a fire inspector for the Risk Management Department at The University of Oklahoma. I will find a way to use this panel for him or his nearly four year old son. The silhouette format appealed to me.


Along the fire theme vein, here are two other fabrics I bought – 1½ yards of the one with text and emblems... 


... and 3 yards of the one with fire engines and dalmatians and signage. This strong colors of red and yellow make a statement in this impressive large scale print.


This tree print will make funky pillowcases around Christmas time. I bought 2½ yards in order for the trees on those pillowcases to face upright.


Our gift package when we left the store was this combination assortment by MODA. Inside a small zipped pouch were two mini charm packs for MODA's new lines Hickory Road and Strawberry Jam. Note the crossed seam rippers on the pouch. Also included in the gift packet was a quilt sketch book and moisture absorbing coaster. Cinnamon's had added their business card and pen.


Last but not least, I succeeded in finding a license plate for this quilt shop to add to the collection on the wall in my sewing room. This shop made a grand finale to our Country Heritage Tour.


If you were wondering, yes, when we got to the airport, I managed to layer all this fabric and books into my husband's suitcase without exceeding his 50 pound limit. My suitcase was already at 49 pounds from adding the goodies and treasures I accumulated at the first two shops. Nobody ever said I traveled light, especially not Frank! But happily, we work as a team.

4 comments:

  1. Stumbled upon your blog and I'm so glad I did! I need to read previous posts, but I'm wondering if this tour was something you would recommend. Were the quilt shops the only places you visited? Not sure I could talk my husband into that...he is patient, but not that patient! Not sure either of us could do hours on a bus either, but maybe when we were younger...sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend this tour. It is run by Country Heritage Quilt Tours and I picked this particular one because it had the least quilt show and quilt shops content since my husband came along. By the way on the bus there were 2 men and 34 women tour goers (plus a female guide and a male bus driver) but my husband did not feel awkward. Time on the bus was not at all onerous. It was broken up into segments and there are rest rooms facilities on the bus - which we never had to use since the stops were frequent enough. If you want to learn more about their tours check out the tour website.
      https://countryheritagetours.com/tours/

      If you want to see my personal experiences, check out posts in my other blog, Wander Or Ponder:
      http://wanderorponder.blogspot.com/2019/04/charleston-arrival-harbor-city-market.html
      http://wanderorponder.blogspot.com/2019/04/charleston-museum-carriage-ride-bus.html
      http://wanderorponder.blogspot.com/2019/04/boone-plantation-and-angel-oak.html
      http://wanderorponder.blogspot.com/2019/04/savannah-historic-district.html
      http://wanderorponder.blogspot.com/2019/04/georgia-islands-florida-heading-home.html

      Delete
  2. I sew love your posts. I enjoyed the tour and did not feel strange travel with out a companion. Everyone was great, easy to talk to and travel with for this trip. Thanks for sharing our experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome shop! I love all the train stuff, and I'm glad Dad had fun polling the ladies :-) that firefighter panel & coordinate looks awesome, and although I will always most adore the "quilter's husband" shirt with the skeleton on the bench, that's a pretty good set you guys got.

    ReplyDelete