Thursday, August 11, 2022

Coral, Queen of the Sea

Mermaids may be rare and their sighting few and far between but this is the fourth mermaid doll I have made from a Moda panel. The experience paid off, because I whipped this one up rather quickly.


I started with the simplest components: the blanket, pillow and seahorse companion Mr. Bubbles.


Next was the mermaids’ clothing: her fins and the skirt for her walking on land when she has legs. Note I run a line of stitch across each waist band in two places to keep the ends of the tie from slipping in too far to be reachable. The two pink wonder clips show where these line are.


Then it was on to Coral the mermaid herself. Making these Moda panel dolls became much easier once I’d acquired the best tools. On the far left is the turning tool that makes those skinny arms and legs a breeze to invert right side out. In the center is a pair of forceps-like tool that grips bits of stuffing in a way that allows it to be inserted deep down to her toes and fingertips.



Voila! Here is Coral the Mermaid assembled with all her accessories and ready to be loved. Cue Disney music Under the Sea.


Following are three links from 2017 where I made this doll before: (May 14, 2017), (May 20, 2017), and (May 23, 2017). They have a view of the source panel, some optional rickrack embellishment I added, and my struggling attempts to turn and stuff the arms and legs before I acquired my handy tools.

1 comment:

  1. Hopped on to comment on your quilt show trip to OK, and OH WOW am I behind!!! That said, A still enjoys her dolls by you (even though she's gotten "past that age" on her other dolls, sniff), and I hope the lucky grandchild (or friend!) is enjoying this one. All of Stacy Hsu's work is adorable, but this is a particularly adorable set.

    ReplyDelete