Thursday, August 8, 2024

Star Wars Crochet

A few years ago I bought this Star Wars crochet kit from Costco. The instruction book contains directions for twelve projects, but the kit has yarn enough for only two. 




My grandson Isaiah is into Star Wars so I set out to make him the Yoda character. Following are images of the front and back of Yoda taken from the instruction book. I am a quilter and a knitter. Crocheting is not my strong skill so I struggled making Yoda. Indeed, the "Force" was not with me. Yet I forged ahead taking much more time than I think was estimated for the small amigurumi figure. I kept splitting the yarn with my hook and my tension was often too tight making forcing the hook under the stitches was difficult. When I loosened my tension, the stitches of Yoda's body were not close enough to prevent the white stuffing from peeking through.



I had previously crocheted an axolotl (1/22/24 post) from a Wooble kit for the same grandson. I initially thought the Woobles were over-priced, but the yarn quality and weight, combined with the excellent, truly excellent, instructions did make the Wooble kit worth the cost. My Yoda experience was nowhere near as pleasurable. But I persevered and completed Yoda for my grandson Isaiah. I whipstitched areas where the white stuffing peeked through the brown. I eked out Yoda's robe, finishing with only 2 inches of beige yarn left over. Following is my creation... complete with crooked grin, wonky ears, and peek-a-boo stuffing.


But these few imperfections did not phase Isaiah. He was happy with his Yoda. I am glad, since I am not about to make another figure from this kit.



I plan to pass on this instruction book to a more experience crocheter who can supply her own yarn, maybe in a different weight, and hopefully enjoy making an entire cast of Star Wars characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment