Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Delta Quilters Show Favorites

Saturday, August 10th, Frank, my friend Kathie, and I went to the Delta Quilters Guild annual show in Brentwood, CA. This is favorite show of mine because the quilts, although exquisite and creative, are not so extreme as to be discouraging. They are inspirational. I take many pictures (this time over 70 photos) and then share them via drop box with my daughter who lives in Oklahoma. I did not photograph the entire show, which contained 153 quilts, but only those quilts that struck me and those I wanted to discuss with my daughter over the phone.

Show Quilts
The featured artist was Jean Wallace, herself a member of the Delta Quilters Guild. This dandelion was my favorite quilt of hers. I also loved her write up about dandelions. I never knew they were so versatile. I enjoyed blowing the seeds with my children and was a bit saddened when they were viewed as an annoying weed. The definition of a weed is "an unwanted plant", and I always thought those yellow flowers were pretty, not unwanted.


Several of the guild members had taken a class on making tuffets. I was impressed by the ones that were displayed at the show: one in red/white/black, one in jewel tones, and one with matching quilts and pillows out of Laurel Birch fabric.



I am very fond of Laurel Birch fabrics and so this set of tuffet, pillow, and quilts by Vika Cherkashyna drew my attention, the tuffet and pillows in particular.



The simplistically graphic animal heads in Colorful Safari were very striking and I was wowed by how effective the echo quilting was around the faces. The quilter had a pattern for the giraffe but she generated that elephant head on her own.




Midway through the show I went to check on my husband, Frank, who had found himself a comfy chair in which to read. He was in good company with three other men with the same idea. My husband is the closest guy in the foreground, holding the book. Normally Frank walks the show with me, but he only did part of it this time due to aching feet. He rejoined me toward the end. Hmm... these guys kind of look related, but they are not. Must be the characteristic appearance and stance of a quilter's husband. 


The paper piecing on Just Dandy was appealing and the colors were fresh and bright.



Along a back hallway were very large and very intricately pieced and quilted entries. I was in awe of Fire Hosta, a Judy Niemeyer Fire Island Hosta paper pieced pattern. I could admire it, but learning it was over two years in the making, I realized I would not be motivated enough to attempt something of that magnitude.



Aloha reminds me of a bundle if six Hawaiian fabrics in one yard cuts I have been saving for a Hawaiian shirt quilt. I liked the interspersed stars o f Aloha. I also like 9 patch blocks, so I might intersperse them as corners stones instead when I make my quilt. Then again, one yard is a large enough amount I could make the shirts bigger and fewer of them. Hmm... decisions, decisions.




Show Purchases
I went to this show pretty adamant I would buy NO KITS since I have so many waiting in my stash. My last kit audit was my 1/17/23 post and totaled about fifteen. I succeeded in buying NO KITS at this show, although I did look longingly at these three.


I bought only one yard of fabric, a bargain at $4, convincing myself my stash had little to no florals. A show guest giveaway, I got two free fat quarters from a color wheel spin.


I bought two patterns. The one on the left sucked me in because I have a weakness for checkerboards and stars. The one on the right I wanted to complement a wall hanging on canvas we own. I thought it might be fun to make it for this Christmas and hang it near the screen print shown in the following photo. 



Our stellar unique purchase was this table with the yardstick top.  A close-up of the top follows. This side table was one of the first items I spotted at the beginning of the show. I was instantly attracted to it and so was my husband. We agreed in unison right off to snap it up. The vendor held it for us til we were ready to leave and Frank carried it out to the car. After all, he is the CEO of DianeLoves2Quilt. He Carries Everything Out.


2 comments:

  1. Love your blog Diane!

    So glad you enjoyed the show! Nice Kathie & your CEO Frank were along to enjoy it too!

    😊 p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog was a great summary of a very nice show. I was impressed by the friendliness and joy of the ladies volunteering at the show. Their guild came across as a very welcoming and dynamic group

    ReplyDelete