Monday, April 27, 2020

Cute Critter Pillowcases

My philosophy during this stay at home due to COVID-19 has been to clean closets and be decisive. If I do not feel like making something up now, when I have few outside distractions, then I probably never will. While proceeding with the clean out of my sewing room closet(s), I found several ziplock bags with fabric combinations inside, groupings for which I most likely had plans. Apparently at some point in time, of which I have absolutely no recollection, I thought three particular fabrics went together and grouped them with each other in a ziplock bag. Now I thought they would make up nicely into a pair of pillowcases and perhaps that was my original intent. So here they are. I think the print with owls, raccoons, foxes, squirrels, deer, porcupines, and toadstools is adorable and has a unique color combination – orange, yellow, teal, and grey. The grey plaid oddly enough goes well with it and yet is not from the same fabric line.


When I checked the selvage, the reason for my draw to this cutely subdued fabric was more apparent. It had been designed by Debbie Mumm, a longtime favorite artist of mine, and manufactured by Wilmington Prints. The plaid was from Riley Blake Designs.


I especially like when the broad band fabric runs along the grain. The ¾ yard needed for a standard size pillowcase sits in the correct orientation on the bed. I had 1½ yards so I made two pillowcases, taking care to put the grey plaid opening with solid orange accent strip on opposite ends. The two cases are folded in half and then thirds in the next photo.


Laid out side by side as they would be on a bed, the bands of critters line up at the same level. This pillowcase pair will lie in wait in my linen closet until a grandchild picks them out at bedtime for sleeping at Grandma and Grandpa's. Maybe they will hitch a ride home in his or her suitcase. "Whoo" knows how "deer" he or she will find them and want to "squirrel" them away, like a little "masked bandit".

2 comments:

  1. You should start an Etsy shop for pillowcases (and burp cloths)! If we ever get out of lockdown (I'm starting to get worried that this will never happen!) and come to visit, I'm sure all the kids will be excited to sleep on these pillowcases at Grandma and Grandpa's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those pillowcases! The print is adorable, that colorway is fun, and the large scale of a pillowcase is perfect for showing it off. If you'd made then king size, I'd be requesting a pair!

    ReplyDelete