Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Easter Pillowcases & Bunnies

I originally bought these two fabrics for coordinating dresses for my two southern California granddaughters. But they grew before I sewed the dresses and the yardages in my closet did not. Hence I made the two bunny prints up into standard size Easter pillowcases. Since the fabric was directional, I needed at least 41" length for the main body to wrap around the pillow – more than the usual 27" or ¾ yard. The pillowcases have a handedness to them. When the main body print is upright at the head of the bed, the two cases open out on opposite sides. I fussy cut so that the stripes on the accent fabric, which also has a directionality to it, follow a mirror image sequence on the two pillowcases. The stripe is not from the fabric line; I was happy when I found it in my stash and it had so many of the colors in the two bunny prints. In the following photo each pillowcase has been folded in half lengthwise and in thirds crosswise so a sixth of its size is visible.


I like for the contrasting borders to be oriented so that when they drape over the edge of the mattress they are upright. This next photo displays a closeup of the adorable bunny prints.


Since Easter is just around the corner, I got out a panel that makes two bunnies and three baby bunnies. The designer is Stacy Hsu and I love all her stuff, especially the doll panels. It wasn't until I started cutting out all the pieces that I noticed pink, aqua and soft orange colors aqua were similar to the pillowcase colors. Then... "Hey wait a minute, these are the same bunnies!" I realized. I had bought each of these fabrics and did not make the connection they were both Stacy Hsu.


I rummaged in my garbage and found the selvages for the pillow fabric. Sure enough. It was Spring Bunny Run by Stacy Iest Hsu for Moda. Now I really wanted to make those bunny dolls since they coordinated. My daughter-in-law had said that one set per household was fine, not one per child as I started out doing with Lil' Red and Coral the Mermaid, having made three of each. The six-year-old and four-year-old sisters would be getting the pillowcases so they could share these five bunnies with their two year old brother.


Sewing these is a snap. Cutting out all the pieces seems to take forever; but with experience I have learned to do a lot of the straight parts with my rotary cutter.


They are so cute it is worth it. The following photos are closeups of the girl bunny and the boy bunny in their finery. Her skirt has pockets with blooming flowers. He sports a dapper red bow tie.



Stuffing them used to be a part where I struggled. I tried a variety random implements to get the stuffing deep down into those slender legs and arms but the task was always challenging and time-consuming. Then I visited the booth of a vendor who made and sold dolls and teddy bears. She demonstrated the tool and convinced me I needed it – which she was selling, of course. I bought it and this was the first time I have used it. That vendor was so right! The tips are serrated and open to grip the stuffing so it can be pulled and manipulated into the crevices and spaces. The stuffing gripper – I just made up that name – is sized so well to get way down to the tips of those long limbs.



Not wanting to break social distancing by going to the post office in person, I learned about USPS online for package pickup and it is great. I was able to calculate the postage, pay for it with a credit card, and print the labels all perched in front of my Mac screen. The package containing the pillowcases and bunnies is sitting near my front door, ready to be put out first thing in the morning for the mailman to pickup. This Easter may be unconventional, but even if this stuffing tool were to be the only surprise for me in my Easter basket I would be very pleased – even if I had to forgo a little bit of chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. so so sew cute! I made dolls for a long time, the turning tools (looks like a straw and a stick) and the stuffing tool (looks like a metal rod with a hashed bottom) are priceless for making life easier. Love your bunnies and hooray for curbside mail pickup. I wondered how to weigh things to know how much postage?
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an adorable set! I love the bunny clothes, I love the pillows, and the bunny images on that selvage are priceless. And, high five for picking up a new skill - I love click n' ship for mailing hand-me-downs, destashing, and sending my occasional creation on to its new owner!

    ReplyDelete